Detecting For Bottles

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting an old wooded area and along the creek this morning before I hit the old house. In the valley, was a lot of broken pottery, old rusted junk, broken glass, old mason jar lids, pieces of coal, and pieces of brass & iron.
As I was detecting, I was moving the leaves around with my foot and coil and found a lot of bottles. Many were broken, cracked, or in pieces, but I found many that were still intact. It was interesting because I was not only looking and listening for signals on my Etrac, but was also looking for bottles peeking out of the ground.
I found some of clear, brown, and blue glass bottles. Some ornate and some plain. Some with a screw top and some with a cork top. Some with dates (an 1867 on the bottom of one). Some with medical writing. Some with Ml measurements. Some with 'Union made' or other writing, etc etc etc...

Here's a pic of the bottles I found. I cleaned them up a bit. I know they are not metal, but I did find them metal detecting.

Do they count as finds?

Attachments

• 2013-09-15 BOTTLES.jpg
    2013-09-15 BOTTLES.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 3

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I love finding bottles.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1920s stuff there for the most part. Might be a dump you can dig into there with earlier stuff deeper down.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool bottles. my grandma used to collect bottles. sad thing is they sure take up a lot of room in your house, or at least they did in hers

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for sure - some of those light purple ones will continue to deepen in color if left in a sunny window !

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They only don't count as finds if you didn't find them! :laughing7: Very nice bottles! Looks like you have some older ones there-- I particularly like the purplish one center right. The brown square one is a snuff bottle. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread