Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is clearly stated all over Gettysburg, NO METAL DETECTORS.. ya wanna loose all your equipment, vehicle and end up in jail.. cause thats what would happen.. If you looked up and searched the site of gettysburg online you would learn the answer to your question .. its a huge no no

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
There are a lot of people, including my self, that would love to detect Gettysburg. You are right about there being a lot of stuff there. I would give all of my finds from there to museums, that is what I would do.

Back to reality, it was a decisive battle in our nations history and a lot of men have died there, so out of respect, if not anything else, we must not detect it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It, like many other places falls under.... better to use common sense and make sure because the repercussions can be VERY costly. Basically if a place is loaded with history, is still an active area, and you'd love to detect.... you can't!

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is definitely off limits and against the law!

You will loose your detector!

That ground is sacred to our country! It is an incredible place to visit! Every infantry division has a monument that was constructed by 1890. It has the largest collection of Bronze statues in the country! Check out Wikipedia!!

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Men were buried where they fell there in many cases. To me it's a graveyard so I'd stay away. But if this is not something that bothers you, go at night, have an escape plan like a whitetail deer (stay near cover) and be ready to run like hell. If I could get past the grave aspect I'd love to nighthawk that place with a bulldozer.

Old Town

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
You could always find a private land owner, otherwise , its what everyone else already stated, they even have little no metal detecting signs.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
If you happen to nighthawk Gettysburg as suggested, and I assume that Old Town was just making a joke, I have just one thing to say.....enjoy your jail time. You will get caught and you will face the loss of your vehicle, metal detecting equipment, and very large fines on top of the very real threat of prison time. They have a display inside the visitor center museum of people that thought they wouldn't be caught. Not worth it.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
federal parks are off limits, but i'm sure there are some areas near there that you could get access to. try county parks, schools or just start ringin doorbells to obtain permission around that area. state parks are huntable if ya ask the park manager to got the scoop on the rules of that park(each one has different provisions)

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Honestly I have little desire to relic hunt for CW stuff. Not my thing. But If Gettysburg were loaded with silver coins in crazy amounts and I lived nearby, it would be my life work living in a Ghillie suit and stalking that place at night. I'd ruin that place. Getting chased, trying to outwit the rangers and running like a banshee through the forest in the dark with my Cibola in hand would be too rich to resist.

OT

BubbaJon

Greenie
Nov 29, 2009
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
I'm not with the whole "sacred ground" camp. IMHO folks are getting plain silly about stuff like this - you know you can't take photos in the Alamo because it's a "shrine"? But you can take a photo in a church or cemetery. Silly I tell ya. Anyway - off the soapbox for something practical - a pro tip. A large number of the Civil War battle sites are NOT the actual sites - they are selected for convenience and land availability. Do your research and hunt the actual sites and you'll do much better and stay out of the laws way - which they WILL confiscate your detector at the least and they can in fact confiscate the vehicle you drove in. We hunted a fair number of sites in NC and Virginny way back when with old BFO's and some early Garrett detectors. MAde out pretty good but I'd loved to have had a modern VLF back then like my Cortes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread