Detecting in Canadian farm fields?

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I live in Kitchener Ontario which has a very rich Mennonite and farming history. Being on the Grand River (major water shed in this area) I have read accounts of fur traders as far back as the 1700's coming through here. This area also had a large Native population. Even the early 1800's saw the beginning of settlements and farming communities starting to pop up. There is literally nothing but farm fields between towns and cities.

From Wiki ---> "In 1783, the British government granted the Grand River Valley to the Iroquois, who had supported the Loyalists in the American War of Independence, to compensate them for the loss of their land in New York. The Iroquois settled in the lower Grand River Valley (now The County of Brant), and sold the land which now comprises Waterloo Region to Colonel Richard Beasley, a United Empire Loyalist.

The land owned by Beasley appealed to a particular group of Pennsylvania German Mennonite farmers. They pooled resources to purchase all of the unsold land from Beasley, forming the German Company Tract and dividing the lands into 128 farms of 18,100 square metres and 32 farms of 12,000 square metres each for distribution. By the 1840s, the presence of the German-speaking Mennonites made the area a popular choice for German settlers from Europe. These Germans founded their own communities in the south of the area settled by the Mennonites, the largest being the town of Berlin (changed to Kitchener, named for Lord Kitchener, due to anti-German sentiments during World War I)."

Obviously a farm field covers a large area so is it worth the time detecting in it? I don't really want to waste hours walking back and forth in a big empty field. I am awe struck by the finds our European detecting brothers continually pop out of farm fields. Like this ---> http://metaldetectingworld.com/recovery_of_coin_cache_in_the_field_p1.shtml for instance; or even read some of Crusader's finds in the Today's Finds section of the forums.

Obviously here in Canada we don't have that kind of history, but a 1700's (extremely lucky) or a 1800's (likely) find would be totally thrilling for me. So is it worth my time and effort to walk the fields or should I concentrate around the actual farm houses more? I just don't want to be working tot-lots and parks the rest of my life LOL. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post...

Upvote 0
T

The.Boomer

Get a large coil, to cover more area. Then survey the Field in question. Either cover the Field in a very fast paced very loose pattern and look for a concentration of good targets. If you don't find any such concentration, move on. Yes you might be passing up something but you might have to hunt a virtually empty Field some of which can be hundreds of acres for one good find ???? If you do find a concentration of targets then switch to a smaller coil and get methodical. You also might wanna start the area with the large coil still on and go through the area methodically w/o discrimination. Dig everything including Iron targets to eliminate any masking. And then hunt methodically with the smaller coil for any missed targets.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, anytime you can get out and have some fun sweeping a field and forgetting the chores that never seem to get done is worth it even if I never find any targets. With that much land to enjoy hunting you can narrow down your searches when you find some area that seems promising.

Good Luck an enjoy,
Sandman

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grid it walking strips maybe 50 feel apart, look for pottery and glass but more importantly use very low discrimination and investigate any area that turns up a target or has some ground noise, high points and near water is a good place to start. If you walk it well enough to determine there's no concentration your time is probably better spent moving on. If your area has lots of history there are no doubt some killer field sites.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To put it simply,  you need to figure out--in the most time-efficient way--whether there was a Site in a specific field.  Whether that means walking through there eyeballing the dirt for brick or pottery, finding an old map, doing research of your area, or actually MDing the site--that is up to you. 

When I hunt a field, I in No way wander.  I'm after something there--something that I know Was there.  Life's too short to wander aimlessly in fields on this side of the pond.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
BuckleBoy said:
Life's too short to wander in fields on this side of the pond.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Exactly what I was thinking. There's 2 fields not 10 min's from my house that appear fallow. Just grass and short for some reason, almost like a golfcourse fairway. They're HUGE, I mean really HUGE, and it just kills me to stand there and look across them wondering.....

Like I said, there's history here back to the 1700's, but is it rich enough to just scour some random field?? I'm not thinking so..... dam! I'm moving to England... Crusader need a room mate? I'm clean and can pay rent.... :tongue3:

So I guess I stick to detecting up near the farm houses (have found several built early 1800's - just need permission) and I also found a map dated 1846 that shows several mills along the river near here, old post offices and tons of old school houses.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CanadianTrout said:
BuckleBoy said:
Life's too short to wander in fields on this side of the pond.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Exactly what I was thinking. There's 2 fields not 10 min's from my house that appear fallow. Just grass and short for some reason, almost like a golfcourse fairway. They're HUGE, I mean really HUGE, and it just kills me to stand there and look across them wondering.....

Like I said, there's history here back to the 1700's, but is it rich enough to just scour some random field?? I'm not thinking so..... dam! I'm moving to England... Crusader need a room mate? I'm clean and can pay rent.... :tongue3:

Well I've been at this a while and consider myself decent at scoping a field for sites but am still in shock over some I had missed for years. It's true you have to make the most of your time but an early house site can be a very small patch of iron and easily missed. We do blow through some of the larger places but I always wonder what we may have left behind.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
   Well I've been at this a while and consider myself decent at scoping a field for sites but am still in shock over some I had missed for years.  It's true you have to make the most of your time but an early house site can be a very small patch of iron and easily missed.  We do blow through some of the larger places but I always wonder what we may have left behind.

Intuition is Very important.  But I think that knowing the history of a property will tell you whether there is an era of occupation (and conversely, a dwelling) that you're missing.

People always reply to my posts of wide open fields and big spaces, and say they don't know how I hunt a field that size out.  Well...I don't.  I hunt the Housesite or Barn site in that field out. 

If you know that there was an old house on the property--and are sure it doesn't have a newer house on top of it, then get a topo map and go to town.  Focus first on water sources--springs and creeks--then look at hills and knolls in the fields and woods.  Get a map with the earliest roads you can find on it.  Then look at where the roads meet, or where they cross a creek.

This isn't rocket science--it's just Smart Hunting.  But be armed with as much information as you can acquire BEFORE you start hunting the site.  Then take the most helpful pieces of that information with you on the trek--so that you can refer to them. 

Oh, and always--ALWAYS--search with low enough discrimination that you'll hear the Iron.  Otherwise you may walk through a house site from 1750 and never even know that you happened to walk through a patch of colonial buttons without hitting one, and two feet to the right of that Spanish One Real...

Iron patch is right.  Some of these spots are tiny--maybe only 60 square feet or so in size.

Best Wishes

Buckleboy

twogunz

Apr 13, 2005
go for the old school houses. Any signs of treees cut down near the foundation are good. Kids used to climg them and handg off upside down from the lower branches losing the contents of their pockets.... not much different than kids today.

:)

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I met some guys years ago from Ontario that detected the areas of encampments or skirmishes during the Revolutionary War. Do some research on activity in your area.

Good luck!

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Clue !!! The government had ALL of lower Ontario mapped in the 1870's. I have seen these maps and they were kind enough to put the landowners names at that time and little square black dots where all structures stood on the property at that time. Get your hands on some of these maps and compare to google earth, walk the farmfields looking for pottery, rusty nails or glass. Then you have to get permission and enjoy.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
I met some guys years ago from Ontario that detected the areas of encampments or skirmishes during the Revolutionary War. Do some research on activity in your area.

Good luck!

I'm guessing you mean War of 1812.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
MEinWV said:

Good luck!

:D

Probably the Rangers or Ponce de Leon.

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
MEinWV said:

Good luck!

:D

Probably the Rangers or Ponce de Leon.

I live in south central Ontario so nothing that exciting happened here. But there was actually several battles from the Rev War fought in Canada. Mostly in Quebec though and only like 2-3 max I think. Of course a lot more were fought here during the War of 1812 but again mainly in Quebec, Niagra region, and the Detroit/Windsor areas. All border locations of course.

Didn't take long before we kicked the invaders out, taught them what fighting is all about, and then had to march downtown and burn the White House just to drive the point home. All by militia troops btw. Then it was time to march home for some bacon and beer. Hehehe, sorry, had to add that.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CanadianTrout said:
Then it was time to march home for some bacon and beer.

Attachments

• COLONIAL Bacon.jpg
    COLONIAL Bacon.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,587
  • Drink Labatt.  It\'ll make you want to BURN the White House down..jpg
    Drink Labatt. It\'ll make you want to BURN the White House down..jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 679

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread