Detecting in Cuba

robp

Greenie
Jan 19, 2007
Hi

I am new to this net and live in the UK, this is a great net and so pleased I found a link to it from the minelabowners.com site.

Beach detecting is my main interest and I go down the coast as often as is possible, one thing I try to do is plan holidays abroad that invove me with the Excalibur and a wet suit, my partner enjoys the sunbathing bit and snaffling any jewellery that takes her fancy, silver or gold she is not fussy.

It looks as though a trip is being planned later in the year to Cuba, has anyone any info on the laws governing beach detecting please.

Good luck to everyone in 2007, may the surf god be smiling.

Robp

Upvote 0

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Say Hello to Fiedel and Dezi.

Thats a 1st for me.

I dont think I heard of anyone wanting to go there. You cant get there from the states unless its humanitarian based.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My girlfriends husband is the air traffic controller at Guantanamo Bay.
You can Fly to Cuba ...To take one, you must first obtain a license from the Treasury Department. You also need a visa from the Cubans, which you can get at the Cuban Interests Section in Washington, D.C. Bring a letter stating your purpose for traveling to Cuba, and a photocopy of your passport.

If you meet all the criteria, the easiest thing to do is contact a travel agent approved by the OFAC. Caribbean Family & Travel Services is the largest agency organizing flights between Miami and Cuba, representing about half of all flights through its charter company, C&T. Another authorized travel service provider is Tico Travel in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (www.destinationcuba.com).
As of mid-March, daily flights from Miami to Havana cost $329 round trip. ( Airlines running flights originating from Miami require a five-day stay.

Flying to Cuba might seem to take a little longer if you don't go directly from the United States, but the process may be easier, even if you won't be able to make your arrangements (booking, purchasing, etc.) in the United States. Keep in mind you also won't be able to use a U.S. bank-issued credit card to pay any Cuban-owned company.
. If you are American,you first have to obtain the Governmentss ok...and then you cannot buy anything there...anything..unless you have a permit...say for Cigars....Americans who travel to Cuba also run the risk of more serious penalties under the Trading with the Enemy Act, including hefty fines of up to $250,000 for individuals, $1 million for corporations, and prison terms of up to 10 years.

All that said.....Once there....You need a permit for anything...including detecting....and for a country who's average person makes about ten bucks a month....finding something....would be a real iffy situation. Castro has allowed some recovery of treasure from sunken ships...but has given the permission to Canadians only....

When you visit Cuba...remeber you are subject to their laws and penalized heavily if you break them. Ignorance of their laws is no excuse ....so be careful and make sure you have all permits before going.....

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
I believe Robp said he lived in the UK. He can probably book a flight from Heathrow to Caracas, Venezuela then to Havana, Cuba. I don't think the US trade sanctions involve the United Kingdom's politics. Robp should check with the British Consular and he will probably get the necessary information and detecting laws he needs.
I'm hoping Fidel kicks the bucket and his brother, Raoul mends the broken fences with the USA and becomes a democracy. Who-wee, watch the tourism take off and it'd be TH'ing heaven on the Cuban beaches, parks, schools or just about anywhere people congregated and loss their change and jewelry. Someday it will happen.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guantanamo Bay, now there's a trip. I was there while in the Navy in the early sixties and the only reason I'd want to go back is to bass fish at Treasure Lake. I don't know if there is treasure there, but the bass are said to run up to 40 lbs.

I used to bass fish............. :D

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to visit Cuba! Let's just hope that the political situation changes after FC is dead and buried. However, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen w/ RC running the show.
That country would see an economic boom that would make FC roll over in his grave, if they were to just lighten up, and embrace a little freedom and democracy, and yes! a bunch of capitalism.
Calling Canada - Burt! I know that you are watching this situation, and probably working the issue from up there.
Best of luck my friend, and I will call you to come dive with you, as soon as US citizens are allowed into Cuba.

Tom

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
robp said:
Hi

I am new to this net and live in the UK, this is a great net and so pleased I found a link to it from the minelabowners.com site.

Beach detecting is my main interest and I go down the coast as often as is possible, one thing I try to do is plan holidays abroad that invove me with the Excalibur and a wet suit, my partner enjoys the sunbathing bit and snaffling any jewellery that takes her fancy, silver or gold she is not fussy.

It looks as though a trip is being planned later in the year to Cuba, has anyone any info on the laws governing beach detecting please.

Good luck to everyone in 2007, may the surf god be smiling.

Robp

Just come to South Florida, you'll really think you're in Cuba! Probably more Cuban's here now than in Cuba.

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
R

robp

Greenie
Jan 19, 2007
Just wanted to thank you guys and gals for the info on Cuba, it sounds an interesting place to go. I went to Mexico a couple of years back unfortunately did not take the detector as I was a bit unsure of the law and how the Mexican authorities view the hobby, sounds like Cuba may be ok but I need to check out visas and other paperwork first.

Will keep you posted. I went to my local beach on the South coast this afternoon, a few coins and fishing weights, cold and blowing a gale which is just typical English weather at this time of the year. I should have been up the coast near Sidmouth, a container ship has been beached there when it got into difficulties in the storms last week, it is now shedding it's load, the news coverage said it was carrying fertiliser and hair shampoo...........funny how the locals are finding BMW motorcycles and mountain bikes on the beach! The authorities are powerless to stop people helping themselves, might have a look tomorrow, no need for the detector just a big van.

May the surf god keep smiling

Rob

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
To detect in Cuban waters would be a dream. There are 27 shipwreck locations listed in John S. Potter's book : The Treasure Diver's Guide " ( Doubleday ISBNO-912451-22-x ) There are likely more. This was the sending off point for the Terra Firme armadas returning to Spain. I would be carefull considering the shaky political situation.

Best of luck.

Teklord

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread