Detector(s) used
GPX 5000 with 11" M/DD and GoldScreamer pack
Etrac with 15x18 SEF & 10" Slimeline with inline Sunray
F75 with 11" & 5" DD with inline Sunray for my son
Garrett Infinium with 14" DD, 8" mono and 3x7 DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

My buddy Frank and I took a short trip to Golden Gate Park (GGP) today. What a beautiful day to be outside doing something we enjoy. Frank and I hit a couple different spots in the park, ending on the north side of the polo grounds. We found a whole lot of clad, but only one Merc and one Wheatie. The etrac was able to pull up the merc sitting between a pull tab and foil. I was using the etrac with the 15x18 sef coil... which lasted 3/4 of the day. The weight got to me and I switched to the 10" slim. The sef covers more ground, but I have much more faith in the 10" slim. I took a couple pics of the change... the merc is in the middle. It came out to just short of $4. I was going to take a picture of the trash I cleaned up from the park, but I tossed it before I got home. Came out to about a pound's worth of tabs, caps, and a couple larger junk items.

I am sure Frank or I will post pics of his finds. No gold today, but Frank got a nice silver earing, wheatie and lots of clad.
Good Finds.jpg
Total Coins found by Rob... if I was not late for the Christmas party I would have taken some pics of Franks finds!
Frank.jpg
Frank working a spot
IMAG0388.jpg
Close up of 1945w Merc

Upvote 0

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. It seems that there is always silver being pulled out of that park!! Wish I had a detector when I vacationed there when my father was stationed at the Presidio!!

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats becomming a popular place lately ::) Looks like the rain stopped for you guys, finally. The ground should be good and tender now. Be careful for the remanants of Haight and Ashbury folks :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
dagreat

dagreat

Feb 28, 2010
Upper Lake
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fmrUSMC_0844- I bet you do!!! If you ever get back there, you should hit the park.

Addict- I laughed when I pulled it... no wonder it was giving me some funny readings!!!

Here is a little more info and pics on that Merc...

I believe it to be a 1945 Micro S (MS): Two sizes of "S" mint marks are featured on 1945-S dimes. There is a normal size mint mark and also what collectors call a "micro S". The smaller mint mark brings a slightly higher price than the normal size mint mark but is not a real rarity. Mint marks on all Mercury dimes seem to be a little different either in size or in the placement on the coin.

The one I found has a couple minor scratches on the front, one nick on the back top left. This is not a Full Band (FB) Merc... the three horizontal bands would a middle divider... which is much more rare.

Happy hunting,

Rob

1945 Merc MS back.jpg 1945 Merc MS front.jpg

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what a great day we had had GGP
I didn't see a stamp on the jiggle, so i did a acid test came out brown. so i don't think it's silver

pic of rob with a reason to smile :hello2: nice merc
pic of my finds as well

Attachments

• rob.JPG
    rob.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 653
  • GGP.JPG
    GGP.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 648
OP
OP
dagreat

dagreat

Feb 28, 2010
Upper Lake
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,

I had a great time. Thanks again. I look forward to our next adventure!

Rob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread