Detecting in Havana, Cuba -- Trip of A Lifetime

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just returned from a 10 day trip to Havana, Cuba. I wasn't able to pack my metal detector because I just didn't have the room and wasn't sure if I would be able to hunt. Luckily, I got some hunting in and even met some Cuban detecting enthusiasts while on the beach.

IMG_1452.jpg IMG_1454.jpg

The guys let me see what they found in the ocean. Nothing over the top but still fascinating just the same. With their White's detectors, lots of old Cuban coins, silver chain and some costume jewelry. They said they've never found any Spanish gold. ; ( They invited me to join them the next morning but I wasn't able to make it.

Inspired by my new metal detecting buddies, I starting searching the waters wear they searched with a pair of goggles. I found what look to be teeth from some sort of animal and part of a jaw bone, that REALLY looks to be human.

IMG_1666.jpg IMG_1668.jpg IMG_1671.jpg

While visiting Cristobol Columbus Cemetery to see my grandparents grave, I spend some time cleaning up the weeds. While pulling weeds I found a couple of coins, lots of glass, some bones and and part of an interesting piece of metal which I accidentally dropped after photographing it. The bones could be animal, but interestingly, because the cemetery is so full, the bodies are removed from their tombs after 3 years and stored in boxes. I wonder how carefully the bones are removed?

IMG_1412.jpg IMG_1415.jpg DSC_0071.JPG

I have more photos and will add them later. I'm going back in December and will definitely take my detector this time!

Upvote 20

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the wonderful story.

I can't wait to see more pictures.

Sailing to Cuba is on my bucket list-

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cemetery finds, beach finds and a big tarantula that I unearthed while hunting under the rocks. Also found a Gould's motor from Seneca Falls, NY.

DSC_0073.JPG DSC_0093.jpg DSC_0063.jpg IMG_1376.jpg IMG_1269.jpg IMG_1285.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just returned from a 10 day trip to Havana, Cuba. I wasn't able to pack my metal detector because I just didn't have the room and wasn't sure if I would be able to hunt. Luckily, I got some hunting in and even met some Cuban detecting enthusiasts while on the beach.

View attachment 1347976 View attachment 1347977

The guys let me see what they found in the ocean. Nothing over the top but still fascinating just the same. With their White's detectors, lots of old Cuban coins, silver chain and some costume jewelry. They said they've never found any Spanish gold. ; ( They invited me to join them the next morning but I wasn't able to make it.

Inspired by my new metal detecting buddies, I starting searching the waters wear they searched with a pair of goggles. I found what look to be teeth from some sort of animal and part of a jaw bone, that REALLY looks to be human.

View attachment 1348013 View attachment 1348014 View attachment 1348015

While visiting Cristobol Columbus Cemetery to see my grandparents grave, I spend some time cleaning up the weeds. While pulling weeds I found a couple of coins, lots of glass, some bones and and part of an interesting piece of metal which I accidentally dropped after photographing it. The bones could be animal, but interestingly, because the cemetery is so full, the bodies are removed from their tombs after 3 years and stored in boxes. I wonder how carefully the bones are removed?

View attachment 1347978 View attachment 1347979 View attachment 1348011

I have more photos and will add them later. I'm going back in December and will definitely take my detector this time!

Cool Post man. Very Cool.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
cool ,i heard there are 60.000 pre 60s old cars there.
brad

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Those cars are the real treasures!

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great trip! And thanks for something we so seldom see - the Cuba we've missed for 60 years.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really cool finds, and a glimpse of a culture that we rarely get to see. Thanks for sharing!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your trip to Cuba with us.
Nice to meet fellow treasure hunters in our travels
Although I wish I could get my hands on some of those older cars, many of the original engines have been replaced with engines from Russia and European automobiles.
I was in Guantanamo Bay in 1970, but it was for training and we were not allowed to leave the base.
Taking a cruse ship to Cuba that would allow for a few days ashore, sounds like an adventure I might enjoy.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your Adventure ! Very entertaining .... esp. the old iron .

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures and thanks for posting. Hey, your Gould "motor" is not a motor, I think it's a hydrolic ram. Got one in the shed, same brand but bigger. Those were used to pump water uphill without electricity.

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your trip to Cuba with us.
Nice to meet fellow treasure hunters in our travels
Although I wish I could get my hands on some of those older cars, many of the original engines have been replaced with engines from Russia and European automobiles.
I was in Guantanamo Bay in 1970, but it was for training and we were not allowed to leave the base.
Taking a cruse ship to Cuba that would allow for a few days ashore, sounds like an adventure I might enjoy.

That's right! That's I was going to tell Jeff of PA. The motors that have been replaced are typically with Russian or Chinese motors. Cubans are well known for there ingenuity and many of them create their own parts. Some people are lucky enough to have family in the US who bring them parts. The inside of most the cars are pretty beat up. The ones in Havana Vieja, that drive the tourists around are in great shape.

Interestingly, my grandfather had a 1957 Cadillac with electric windows and AC. One of the few on the island. In 1991, when the wall fell and things got really bad in Cuba, my grandfather was forced to sell it. Luckily, it's still there. I managed to track down a guy who knows the current owner and sees him everyday. I gave him my number but never heard from the owner. When I go back in December WITH my metal detector, I'm going to try again to find it. I'm also planning to bring a pointer for the metal detectorists that I met. They don't have one.

Here's a quick video of the inside of a European 1950s or 60s Ford.

Here's a video of landing in Havana.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread