detecting in muddy water

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
We have the same conditions here. A good long handled scoop is probably the most important piece of equipment you will need. And a waterproof detector of course. The visibility is secondary as long as you don't want to detect snorkeling or while scuba diving. A good pair of waders or a thick wet suit with boots, or even a dry suit and a pair of neoprene gloves are important too. The water is cold here in northern Germany now and without proper thermal insulation you can't even get into the water.
Good hunting!

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree and am sure most would say that your eyes are secondary, in surf / waves with froth and sand etc there is no clear view - I dig the hole .. most times after two scoops - if I haven't got it through bad position or simple target depth and the hole getting deep, I dig the life out of the hole - maybe 5-6 furious bottom getting scoop loads and hopefully toss target out and recover with a shallow scoop over the new position of the target
( but don't empty any early scoop load until you check the hole). :icon_thumleft:
Having said this just recently I found my first "sun baker" - $1 coin on the top of sand and I eyeballed it before the swing found it.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We have the same conditions in my area of the Gulf of Mexico where a nasty river flows into the gulf. A long handle scoop then everything is done by feel with the toe of your foot. Pinpoint with your coil, mark the spot with the toe of your foot, slide your scoop in front of your toe, then dig. It takes some practice, but it will soon become second nature. I almost forget how to hunt in clear water, but it sure is nice when I do.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Agree with all of the above :thumbsup:
I use the methold that Canslaw mentioned, how I learned was to bury some coins in the freshly plowed garden in the daylite then come back over in the dark of night and dig them as if I was in the water or as well you could wear a mask during daylite hours. You will learn quick and soon after master. Most hunting conditions up around the eastern Shore are very low if no visibility. In the Bay where there is calm waters I use the Miller (hoop) scoop. A couple video's showing how..One in low Visible water (with a CZ20) the other in clear water and how to,.......... using a Minelab Excalibur. One thing about muck, you should always take a friend with you and wear a manual inflatable PFD for safety reasons.

LOW VIS

THE PP PART, LIKE CS SAID..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread