detecting in norcal

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
Hello all on the detecting forum. I haven't visited this area of treasure net until now.
I have decided to purchase a detector but have absolutely no experience in any aspect of it. Would appreciate some guidance from anyone who knows about the different types, makes, models etc.
I live close to auburn and would be mostly looking for gold in decomposed bedrock old tailing piles and iron rich ground. My price range would be around 2k but would go higher if it made a huge difference.
Thanks for any help

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,
There have been several good posts of late here on Tnet about prospecting detectors and they should cover all your needs. I think just recently it has been decided that the Gold Bug Pro is a good all around machine. Myself I use the GMT and have found it to be useful. Just remember that in order to find anything one must use the machine they have. To find anything means one must put the coil over something within the machines depth range And Then the user must hear the tone shift.
1) Lots of time out in the field is required
2) Learning ones machine is a must or you are likely to find nothing but trash
3) Be in an area where what you are looking for has been found before. Or if you just enjoy being out then go anywhere and detect and who knows what might happen.
4) Hearing signals is best done with headphones. I 'love' my wireless setup except for all the heat and sweat in the summer.
Bluetooth has been known to have some irritating negative effects when used with metal detecting. "Kleer" technology works well, is what I use, but the ear cups are hot/sweaty. Recently upon doing an internet search of "Kleer Technology for EarBuds" it was noted there are several new systems out there ranging from $120-$500 and they all work with typical metal detector's. Battery life is a critical component of headphones, replaceable batteries are important.
5) You must put your coil over the target you are looking for And the target needs to be at a depth your machine can reach. Hearing faint sounds is important!

Best of luck.....................63bkpkr

Addendum: The GPX5000 costs more than $5,000 new and was out of your budget range.

The MXT & GMT share some electronics (do not recall which one came first) but since I prospect in the area you've specifically asked about I will mention that my GMT finds gold in that general area but no I've never been to the transfer station.

I do now understand that you are looking for a higher end machine and since the GPX 5000 is so expensive (but the machine to own if one has a whole bunch of hot rocks) and has already been indicated by another fine response the White's TDI machines are Pulse units (just like the GPX 5000). In another post the TDI macines were described something like "the poor man's GPX 5000". So now you should have a better picture of detectors and at least from my detecting in the area my thoughts on how my GMT works in that area. Note here: The GMT has some nice settings options that if NOT used together will cause a person to have fits (like your MXT comments). As the TDI responder has used the TDI SL in the area you are talking about and I believe enjoys it and as the price fits your budget I would certainly consider it. 63

Last edited:

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
Here's my 2 cents.....
I live in northern California and have been detecting for gold for a little while. I've had 4 detectors in that time.
After a field test, I sold my TDI Pro and my MXT300 for a TDI SL. Here's why...
In the Gold Country of California the Hot Rocks will drive any VLF machine, and YOU, crazy! I've been up and down the American River outside of Auburn up past Colfax and it is lined with Hot Rocks. Same for rivers near the Sierra's at the bottom of the trail and up north, too. And even though, of all the VLF machines, the MXT has one of the best technologies for handling highly mineralized soil, even with that and the 6x10DD coil it still drove me crazy. You will hear every Hot Rock, and they sound just like real targets. Now please know you can adjust the machine so that you won't hear them, but you also must realize that you will be losing a lot of depth and small gold at the same time.
The TDI SL is a PI machine - this means that most Hot Rocks will not even make a sound. Combine that with the TDI SL's smooth threshold and light weight and you've got a very nice gold nugget-hunting machine. And at $1250 it fits within your budget and leaves extra to buy a good pick and some other tools.
I also highly recommend the 7.5" DF coil. I have several coils for mine and, believe it or not, the 7.5" coil can not only detect smaller gold than the other coils, but it can hit bigger objects almost as deep as the other, large coils like the 10x14 mono by RB and the 12" White's DF. More specifically, I personally measured it to be within 1" of depth as the other coils.
So that's my 2 cents. I'm sure other experienced detectorists will weigh in with their opinions too.
Happy Hunting!!!

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In regards to your price range, White's TDI SL, and TDI Pro are the 2 best options when it comes to PI machines (GPX 5000) being the best, but 5k is a tad over price you mentioned.
GMT, Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Eureka Gold. would be the best VLF options..

I'm a huge GMT/Gold Bug2 fan.. I've had the GMT for just over a month, and have not touched my gold bug 2 or Pro since.. :P

Anyway, something to think about.

OP
OP
Quickpan Dan

Quickpan Dan

Feb 2, 2013
Has anyone been behind foresrhill transfer station? Two or three old.chutes and detector paradise. This is my dilema .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq-operates anywhere, warrantied for life,light ez to use and hip/chest mountable-just don't get no better-John

joshgoldbeans

Greenie
May 5, 2013
shasta county
Detector(s) used
Tesoro LOBO Supertrack
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i agree tesoro lobo.....about $700 with lifetime garuntee..i bought one for my first detector and bagged a 5.6 gram nugget my second day. going over same ground a friend already worked with his eureka gold.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Here's my 2 cents.....
I live in northern California and have been detecting for gold for a little while. I've had 4 detectors in that time.
After a field test, I sold my TDI Pro and my MXT300 for a TDI SL. Here's why...
In the Gold Country of California the Hot Rocks will drive any VLF machine, and YOU, crazy! I've been up and down the American River outside of Auburn up past Colfax and it is lined with Hot Rocks. Same for rivers near the Sierra's at the bottom of the trail and up north, too. And even though, of all the VLF machines, the MXT has one of the best technologies for handling highly mineralized soil, even with that and the 6x10DD coil it still drove me crazy. You will hear every Hot Rock, and they sound just like real targets. Now please know you can adjust the machine so that you won't hear them, but you also must realize that you will be losing a lot of depth and small gold at the same time.
The TDI SL is a PI machine - this means that most Hot Rocks will not even make a sound. Combine that with the TDI SL's smooth threshold and light weight and you've got a very nice gold nugget-hunting machine. And at $1250 it fits within your budget and leaves extra to buy a good pick and some other tools.
I also highly recommend the 7.5" DF coil. I have several coils for mine and, believe it or not, the 7.5" coil can not only detect smaller gold than the other coils, but it can hit bigger objects almost as deep as the other, large coils like the 10x14 mono by RB and the 12" White's DF. More specifically, I personally measured it to be within 1" of depth as the other coils.
So that's my 2 cents. I'm sure other experienced detectorists will weigh in with their opinions too.
Happy Hunting!!!

Goldchaser3, you mentioned Whites Dual Field detector. I use that machine here in Florida for beach/water hunting. I know that it works well in black sand and mineralization. What kind of results have you had with using it for nugget hunting in NorCal?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread