Detecting in Scandavia and the Baltics

tiburciovasquez

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm going to the Baltic and Scandinavia for 3 weeks and was wondering if I could detect there. It seems that the Nordic countries have some strict laws but the Baltic countries seem much better about it. I was looking to hunt public land like forests and beaches but may ask farmers there as well. I would really like to know any regulations or tips from people who hunt there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Those locations do not appear on the link of the oft-linked list of laws-of-Europe.

No doubt someone will come on with something dire. That was passed to someone from a travel consulate, or an archie in that country years or decades ago. And got passed person to person , link -to - link over the years. To make it into such lists. But even if you find something like that, watch carefully for various moderating factors. While it may seem "dire", yet look carefully for the following:

a) "no's" that are couched in the context of archaeological or historic. Pay close attention to if they are speaking of 1) the type sites, or 2) the type objects found that are "historical" or "antiquities", etc..... Because in either case: For 1) ok, stay out of sensitive archaeological monument type sites [the same could be said of the USA or Britain afterall]. or 2) ok, you're only looking for new stuff (and hence doesn't apply to beach-goer fumble fingers losses, etc...) . Bear in mind that "historic" in some of those countries is not the piddly "50 or 100" yrs. like we have here in the USA. But like Britain, sometimes they don't consider stuff "old", that anything less than 1500s or older, etc...

b) Watch carefully that anything being cited to you is, obviously, laws that regulate the use of public land. Those are what laws are for afterall, is "public land" of this nature/context, right ? So private farmers land (with permission) would be outside the context of laws that govern the use of public land. This is why, for example, so much md'ing in Britain is done on private land. Because THEN it's between you and farmer Bob, as that was "his land".

c) watch for if the law being cited is a federal level law. Ok fine. But like the USA (where someone could cite ARPA to you), yet that's not "border to border", and doesn't apply to sub-entities (necessarily, unless said-to-do-so border-to-border). There might be sub-entities, such that not all land is federal (like we have state and county and city here). This has been an oft-made mistake, that, for example, someone reads something on a "state-park" level here in the USA, and thinks it means "every park in the state". So watch for what you're reading is strictly for federal land (and if other forms of land exist there. I'm not sure of the governmental land divides there. Perhaps everything's federal. But just sayin'....) :)
[/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread