Detecting in State Parks

jeffmajer

Greenie
Aug 22, 2007
Hello, I am new to MD'ing and Treasurene. I have been doing a little research on detecting on public property in the state of Il. I found a little info others might be interested in. Here is a link to the Il dept of Nat resources website that lists the Il. state parks that allow detecting by permit only.

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/programs/DayUse/metaldetect.htm

In addition I would appreciate it if anyone else has any info on the public property belonging to the different counties of Ill. I would appreciate if you posted here. That goes for any cities or towns that have restrictive legislation on the book.

Last but not least, if anyone out there wants to go detecting sometime drop me an email, I am in Chicago (NW Side) and have an open schedule so almost any day has the potential to be good for me.

Good Hunting!
Jeff

roundhat

Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
I detect in several state parks here in our area. one of which has produced 2 barber dimes (1900 and 1916) , a 1942 walking liberty half and a 1942 quarter. got the quarter a week ago. it was 5.5 inches deep. to get the permit is easy, just go in to the park office and fill out the paper... takes about 5 min. the permit is good for 1 yr and they also tell you what if any parts are off limits. if the park is a historical area no md'ing will be allowed.

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
Hi Jeffmejer, Check before you drive a long way to a state park. I've hunted several state parks with permits, but, The list is not totally accurate. I've been refused a permit at one of the parks on the list. At Kankakee, which is on the list, they said no detecting. I showed them the list of state parks ( same page as yours) and several of my permits. The answer was still NO. Rob

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
rcasi44 said:
Hi Jeffmejer, Check before you drive a long way to a state park. I've hunted several state parks with permits, but, The list is not totally accurate. I've been refused a permit at one of the parks on the list. At Kankakee, which is on the list, they said no detecting. I showed them the list of state parks ( same page as yours) and several of my permits. The answer was still NO. Rob
Hi Rob!! :D I'd send a certified letter of complaint to Blagoyavich's office!! You just may get a POSITIVE response seeing as how his whole administration is now under a federal gubermint microscope!! You(us) may get some justice if you do!! Let is know if you do, too ;-) stvn.

roundhat

Oct 22, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
i'd definitely go above their heads. if it's on the list the need to let you detect. if not they need to change the list.

tapwater

Mar 30, 2008
rcasi44 said:

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to this, so........I called the KKK state park and they said "sure, no problem." I just got back from the office, and is was no trouble at all. Sign the paper and off you go. Very friendly staff there. Only one issue though....MDing is only allowed in sections 1-10 on the south side of the river. That leaves out most of the camping areas and big parking lots.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff hasn't been on since nov 29' 2007

tapwater

Mar 30, 2008
bomber said:
jeff hasn't been on since nov 29' 2007

I realize that, bomber. I simply thought that he got hold of a cranky employee, and permits are a breeze to get, if anyone was interested. Best to ya.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roundhat said:
I detect in several state parks here in our area. one of which has produced 2 barber dimes (1900 and 1916) , a 1942 walking liberty half and a 1942 quarter. got the quarter a week ago. it was 5.5 inches deep. to get the permit is easy, just go in to the park office and fill out the paper... takes about 5 min. the permit is good for 1 yr and they also tell you what if any parts are off limits. if the park is a historical area no md'ing will be allowed.

Good thing to remember to do!!! Thanks for the info!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread