Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact the dept of tourism or whoever promotes the DR as a vacation spot. Monty

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Jersey, I've seen where some say you need a permit and I've also seen where others didn't. I think it all has to do with the beach you're on...whether it belongs to a resort or not. Just type in Dominican Republic in the search area of this site, several posts will come up.
I've detected in the Bahamas with no problems, even sold a detector there to one of the locals....I think he had a pretty good idea of where a little booty might be found!
Happy Hunting. Dan

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm leaving this sat 4 punta cana so if you find out anything let me know,i've posted a couple of times but didn't get any responses,what kind of md are you using i still have to buy one b4 sat,any advise

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
Well, here is what I know. I went to Punta Cana on my honeymoon Oct. 1st, 2005. I stayed at Secrets Excellance. They told me that the beaches in the Dominican Republic belong to the people. It is not against the law to metal detect on them. This is only what they told me and I went a few times with nobody giving me a second look. Most resorts are very private when it comes to letting "locals" in. They are all gated so the beach is only occupied by guests. If you travel up or down the beach from the resorts then you are on your own, as far as safety. Locals will try to get you to follow then\m to their shops and such. It is a pain. One lady that had a store on the beach next to the resort introduced me to a security gaurd that watched their shops at night (they are wooden shacks, not too secure) and for a few dollars he offered to go with me beyond the resort grounds to offer his protection. It rained for 5 out of 7 days I was there so I didn't get out much. I found some recent clad and a DR peso. If you have a water machine you will be in the money. There are some pretty wicked waves there (red flag the whole week we were there) but it would be great at low tide. I know that while we were there, at least 3 couples lost jewelry. The locals will tell you that the ocean is known for taking jewelry right off of you. It goes without saying that you shouldn't wear any into the ocean. Also, if I would detect at night I would not wear any jewely or take anything but a few dollars with me. You can never bo to careful at night there. We had no problems but I like to stay prepared. If you have any specific questions PM me and let me know. I hope this helps and good luck.

OP
OP
jersey junkie

jersey junkie

Jan 14, 2006
new jersey
hey bomber I am new to MDing but am lucky to have a White's DFX. I was able to use it right out of the box with much success and little frustration. I do have a lot to learn though. I have been to the DR 15 times in the past and walk the streets at night with no problem. I do know where tom stay away from. I look forward to heading down in february. I will be in Juan Dolio. It is on the south side of the island. The beaches aren't that great there. I will be going back in May and will be at Casa de Campo a world class resort. They have a nice private beach that i'm sure has not been detected too much if not at all. The typical visitors there are very rich and little time for the adventures we crave. I go there as a chapperone with a high school senior class. Can't wait.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread