Detecting in water

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Well I took the plunge and ordered the Cobra Beach Magnet from Kelly Co. this morning. It's a Demo. with some scratches. Cost $179.95 plus $50.00 to get it overnight. It has the full factory warranty.
My wife and I are going to the Outer Banks this Thursday evening for 3 quiet days for her to study for her Registered Nursing Certification test. I've promised to stay out of her way. I figured that I would use the XS from 5:00 A.M - 10:00 A.M. And then the Cobra in the water during the hot part of the day. That's why I got it shipped overnight. I hope I can learn it fairly quickly.
Having never done this type of detecting before, I would appreciate any tips, no matter how simple. I have a sand scoop with a 32 inch handle . Is that adiquete? Do I hunt in the trough or go out on a sand bar? High tide or low tide?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This beach hunting is way to much info to give here. Suggest you visit the master's web page: thegoldenolde.com/

Sandman

OP
OP
M

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Sandman,

Went there last night. I think I found it in one of your earlier post. Does this guy have a hut on the beach or what? You are right!! Lots of info. Very interesting reading. But one thing I didn't see. Should I hunt behind the waves?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Golden Olde, Norm has died while in the hospital.

OP
OP
M

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thank you Sandman. my condolences to all his friends and loved ones. I spent a large part of yesterday reading his posts on beach and water hunting. What a wealth of information. I wish I had known him. You could easily see his passion for his hobby/profession.

liverpoolfc

Oct 9, 2005
liverpool, uk
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus and a Fisher CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that site is the reason i bought a fisher CZ-20.
best detector i have owned in 25 years in the hobby.
never regreted buying one for a second,fantastic machine.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman,

thanks for the golden olde web page reference. Lots of good info! 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread