Detecting Mt Bross, Colorado

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
From what research I have done the Pike National forest is open to recreational prospecting as long as its not on a patented claim. Are there no unpatented claims in this area? I've also read that nuggets have been found in the area along the platte north of Alma. So I was wondering if anybody had detected or prospected on Mt Bross or Mt Lincoln.

From what I have read alot of gold in the South Platte has originated from that area so now I'm just trying to figure out if there is a chance to find some nuggets with a detector. Only make it back to Colorado once or twice a year so trying to zero in on a spot to do some prospecting. Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

ColoradoGoldman

Jul 9, 2009
Falcon, CO.
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300,Whites Pulse Scan TDI, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
The Alma district is located in South Park and had a total production of 1,320,000 ounces of lode gold and 28,000 ounces of placer gold between 1859-1959. Northeast of Alma about a 1/2 mile, along the east side of the South Platte River, the placers produced great examples of gold nuggets. Coarse gold nuggets to several ounces have been found. All the area tributary creeks and gulches have gravel deposits that contain placer gold. On Mount Lincoln and Mount Bross, rich area lode mines, like the London Mine the richest mining operation in the county, produced most of the gold and silver. Near the head waters of the South Platte River, along the Continental Divide, on North Star Mountain, all of the gulches contain placer gold. Northwest of Alma, 2 - 6 miles, many small mines produced lode gold. North of Alma is the Consolidated Montgomery Mine, the mine is at an altitude of 11,000 feet and gold was considered a by product. In Buckskin Gulch, the Sweethome Mine was also a good producer. Around Mosquito creek, all the streams produce placer gold.
Most of the mines and placer are claimed in this area. Your best bet is to do some research on the BLM web site and locate a place that is either removed from mineral production and do some hunting for old abandon tailing's that will not not be under active claim. With Gold at record levels almost all the good areas are being reworked again. Out here we all have guns to protect ourselves and properties so stay off any place you are not sure or have written permission. I have hunted the old buckline dredge stacker piles on Forest land that are not under claim around Fairplay. It is hard rough to hunt them. It is also dangerous as the rock piles can and will slide. You can find clay balls in the piles that passed over the tables on the dredge and was lost in the stacker piles. I have found small nuggets and panned some to find a little gold. There are hard rock mines in the area but I stay away from them. The placer gold is on bedrock and the gravels here in Colorado run from 4 to 117 ft in depth to bedrock.
HH
C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread