detecting near radio towers

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I have my Ace 250 coming on Friday (according to UPS website) and will be bringing it with me on a Boy Scout camping trip soon. The site where we will be camping apparently has a couple of radio/cell towers there. Not sure how big an area it is but obviously it can't be too small or we would all be sleeping under the towers.
Anyway, my question is....would the towers interfer with the detector? I would like to show the scouts how to metal detect (would have 2 detectors that weekend....scouts could use the radio shack one ;) ) and it would be frustrating if the detectors were just beeping the whole time. I figure sensitivity would have to be adjusted but how far away would I have to be to not have any interference from the towers. Naturally I would not be standing under the bloody things, but did not know if being in the area would cause a problem or not.

Thanks,

Funkman

Upvote 0

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Hate to say this but, might affect it or it might not. You will just have to take them and try it. How tall of a tower, frequency of signal, direction of signal, distance from signal???? All can affect it one way or another, but I would think that you would be able to find a location at the Scout camp where they would work. HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i cant go 50 feet within power lines with my troy even with a freq.swith option it has it is very talky my girlfreind uses a 250 in the same area she had no probs....get some headphones.... ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
High tension power lines can be a problem but I don't think cell towers are as powerful. There is one here next to a small park but I've never had any problems with interference yet although I haven't gotten closer than 50' to it. Good luck and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions