Detecting near sidewalks

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a quick question. I have a little patch of grass that I have been going to for a few years now and it always has some kind of present for me. It abutts a sidewalk and I get the nasty noise from the rebar in the cement so I always stayed away from that edge. The other day I decided to try and swing parallel to the walk and pulled out two mercury dimes, 1941 and 1929 and a Bermuda one cent 1970. It's still pretty annoying though. I'd like to try and master hunting as close to the edge of sidewalks as possible but possibly set my machine to eliminate the noise. I'm using my trusty AT Pro with a small coil on it.
Thanks guys

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all the sidewalks have rebar, a pleasant surprise when that happens. I just deal with the noise. Using my AT pro I select off most of the low scale racket and only allow 60-70 and above numerical targets.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bev,

Hunting with the small coil is the way to go near sidewalks with rebar in them. Which coil are you using the super sniper? I have a 4" coil for my Tesoro that I use for spots like that, I can tilt the coil and detect targets that have worked up against it. I'd like to hear from folks using the small coils on the AT Pro.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small coil is the way to go (the best coil I found for this is an elliptical) like the 5x10

also - some machines are better at hunting metal fence lines, sidewalks, etc. than others

the AT Pro isn't one of the best for this type of hunting but it certainly is doable

hus4154

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was bored during a garage sale at my place and pulled out the AT Pro just to mess around in the yard next to my driveway. Try standing on the drive and moving the coil paralled to the concrete. I found a silver half dollar three inches from the concrete.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good plan! But becareful too lot of telephone and other wires are right next to the sidewalk you should be able too tell if it is a wire though with the interference noise!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bev, your AT Pro probably has both sound and display. Crank up the discriminate to eliminate the sound. You will still get the display when near iron, but you won't have to deal with the noise. Watch the display GOOD for possible tagets that won't sound off! TTC

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not all side walks have reinforcement bar or mesh it all depends on how old the side walk is
the old side walks up here there isn't any iron in them....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread