Detecting on Camp Shelby?

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to Camp Shelby for training in June for two weeks with the NC National Guard. I am interested in doing some detecting down there. I haven't found anything online about it being illegal. I also haven't seen whether it is historic and therefore protected. Anyone have any info for me would be great. I tried contacting the base personnel but haven't had any luck finding a good contact for them. Thanks.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Adam, we have hunted outside the east gate, that's where some of the old barracks area and pow camp were. Just outside the gate you can see some of the old concrete foundations and such, off just about all those roads were something. Never hunted inside the fence, off limts but you might have the right connections. Summer time is not the best to be in the woods, too many snakes. Some of the area is cutover and not too bad but you have to be very careful. Let us know when you are here and we will try to set something up. You might go to the military museum and get some info on where to try.

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thanks a lot. Yeah we are going may 31 to June 14 so hope I get time. Yeah military bases are shady sometimes lol. Depends on who you know I guess. Hope I can get permission. I'll bring my AT Pro and gear just in case lol. Thanks about the snakes I forgot about them lol.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one thing we do very well, grow big rattlesnakes and cottonmouths. Pull up Shelby on google earth or whatever and go east of the main area. You can see the layout of the roads, most are still used but a few are grown over. If you do get time, just let us know and we can try to put you in a good spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions