Detecting on Deer Island off Biloxi

jerry-Biloxi

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I didn't know that some one actually owns part of the island. Today they voted at the Biloxi City council Meeting to change the designation of his part of the island from agricultural to water front. Which means he is going to start building here now, and will no longer be the pristine nature environment it is today. There was no environmental study done, the meeting was held in the middle of the day when the people could not get off work and voice their opinion, etc. Good bye Island.

laffitte

Jun 2, 2014
Ocean Springs,Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Dear island is not part of it. There was also a treasure chest dug up 1911 that belonged to Jean Lafitte. Given by letter from New Orleans to a family in Ocean Springs, Ms. Yes is was delivered 90 late.
There is another chest found on Dolphin Island in 1991. No one will ever hear about that one. Why?? because it is own by Fla. government.

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I didn't know that some one actually owns part of the island. Today they voted at the Biloxi City council Meeting to change the designation of his part of the island from agricultural to water front. Which means he is going to start building here now, and will no longer be the pristine nature environment it is today. There was no environmental study done, the meeting was held in the middle of the day when the people could not get off work and voice their opinion, etc. Good bye Island.

It's been almost 2 years.
Has any construction happened?
Ray

laffitte

Jun 2, 2014
Ocean Springs,Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I used to go camping at Deer Island all the time. Now I have a ProAT and can not get to the Island. Got rid of my boat. Did you know that there were TWO treasure chest found on that island. 1911 buried by Jean Lafitte in 1815-23. The other one was found on the West end of Deer Island. Anchor LLT (he sells White Detectors 228 435-4773. Jim) of Biloxi told me about this one. When you go to these island stay on the North side of the Islands. They never bury on the South end or the East end. I know.
Any one on the coast of Ocean Spring Ms . who want to detector or research give me a call (228) 215-3282--BOB

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wanted to bump this thread. Anyone been to Deer Island lately?
Since MS bought back portions of CAT Island, is it accessible now?
Just wondering, because Cat Island has LOTS of history!
Cat Island

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had much luck chasing treasures. I have found a lot of relics but never any old coins except a 1909 penny next to a cpl of rifle casings. The trouble with the coast is so much land has been churned over from hurricanes that more often than not the coins get to deep to find. The beaches create a nice walk but rarely does anyone find more than $2 in clad and the wild ass chance of a ring. To many tourists hunt the beaches and if one really thinks about it you rarely loose change anyway and if you lose a ring you will look until all hope is lost.

I do best at old schools and parks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread