detecting on manicured lawns

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
whenever i get to a place where the grass is groomed and well cut and there is little trash, i use a large coil to search a small area, every time i get a hit , i drop a marker on top of it...

after i get about 30 markers on the grass, i change the big coil for a small 4.5 inch coil and start digging...

this way the holes are smaller and the recovery time is quicker....

the only hassle was the time it took me to change from one coil to the next...

so what i do now is: I disconnect the shaft with the large coil from the control box and then i use the small coil as a hand held pinpointer...

as markers, I use old useless zinc pennies to which i have glued white cloth from an old worn out shirt.

good hunting to all and happy new year......lou 8)

R

rvbvetter

Sounds time conssuming, but your being thoughtful for the lawn owner.

I like to use a long shank screw driver to probe and then insert just above coin and wiggle side to side (not me!! the screw driver) till theres a slit and then work the coin up. Then the slit can be squeezed back together with out a trace and no dead grass later. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rvbetter you are doing it right. Everytime I hear of someone "digging," I cringe. You can save even more time by learning how to pinpoint with the larger coil and probe with the screw driver right then for retreival. Not all coils pinpoint best in the center, some are off the tip or heel. If you must dig, cut a plug and lay it on a cloth so all the dirt can be returned to the hole.

I found one th'er leaving holes in a park and he refused to cover his holes. Some were even found with a coin in the dirt clod. The park manager gave him a bill for regrading the area and for the reseeding. He went to court and with the photos the manager had, he had to pay for the damage, court costs and do pubic service for the county parks. I think he should have been shot.......LOL

Sandman

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
The probing with a screwdriver method works. I have been doing it the last 2 weeks. I think it is even easier than digging a plug.

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
ringding said:
The probing with a screwdriver method works. I have been doing it the last 2 weeks. I think it is even easier than digging a plug.

That's probably the preferrable method, but what about when the screwdriver hits rocks? Can you tell the difference when probing between a rock and a coin?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use of a screwdriver as a probe works fast and easy. With a little practice you can tell between a rock and coin as the coin feels different. Hard to describe here. What I like better is a bayonet as it can enter the hole on a pull tab or ring and wedge there so you can just lever it out of the ground. With a coin you already have the slit that you can insert your finger and wiggle the coin out. You retreival time is faster, neater and you have more time to cover more ground sweeping and find more targets.

Course deeper coins are a different problem.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really shy away from using a screwdriver as a probe. I used to use one and scratched a lot of recoveries. I have better luck with a homemade probe. A piece of 1/8" or 3/16" brass rod in a handle ( wooden, an old screwdriver handle, or a golf ball all work well). The brass does not scratch as easily. You cannot use the probe to dig with, but combined with a screwdriver or forceps as I posted before you get the best of all.

Ed Donovan

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Madfranks, go out and try it. Surprisingly you can tell the difference between a coin and a rock. After a little practice you just know. You just know that it is a coin and not a rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions