detecting on schoolyards

bootyhunter

Feb 3, 2005
I know we all pay taxes & rightfully should have access to schoolgrouds for detecting, but I understand certain states are against metal detecting all together,,,do those laws in any states include public schools too? am I allowed to hunt a school in any state because they are public?, does anyone know of any states I should not try to detect all together in? or not schoolyards..
I travel alot & want to know what states not to try that in...

Thanks in advance to any posts...

Nate,

Upvote 0

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Booty when in doubt check with the local police dept. They will be the ones called if someone doesn't like what you are doing. Then you can tell them sgt. Doright said it was OK. Please leave me alone.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Don't do it during school hours. Don't make a mess. In a public place like a school or a park, I sometimes find that forgivness is easier to get than permission. If you have a real doubt in your mind, inquire at the office or with a grounds maintenance person. They are usually easy to get along with. Spotz

OP
OP
B

bootyhunter

Feb 3, 2005
ya thats kinda what I'm starting to gather, that there is no (actual rules) pertaining to what I guess would be considered a more local (law) or even just frowned upon by someone at that moment... thanks for your inputs ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schol yard detecting is tough around here as they are now all covered with asphalt! However, I recall one area where all the school buses use to load and unload. The area is outside the schoolyard fence between the fence and the road. Also, there is one corner of the schoolyard that is now outside the fence that was once a main part of the yard. I plan to hunt these two areas soon. JM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread