Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any experience with using night vision goggles while detecting? And for the record, I'm not talking about trespassing on someone's property at night to metal detect. I work 2nd shift and get off work at midnight. I'm thinking about getting some night vision goggles for detecting when I get off work. I would use a headlamp, but I really don't want to be bothered while detecting. And at that time of night, a headlamp would certainly draw attention.

So does anyone have any experience with this? Would I even be able to see a coin in the dirt? Would it be too cumbersome? What potential problems would I be facing?

Found some nice 2nd generation NVGs on Amazon for a little over 1,600 bucks. Don't wanna spend that kind of cash if I won't be able to use it.

Upvote 0

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Use a headlamp with red or green light on it. Much less likely to draw attention. Red won't destroy your eyes night vision like a white lamp will. At a distance a red light will be much less visable to the enemy. :thumbsup:

They're no good for details. Bulky and annoying.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Night vision goggles work off infra red which sees heat, OK for spotting people and animals but won't see a coin in the dirt. I just use a small flashlight to see in the hole at night and don't use any light while hunting to see around me, only turn on the flashlight to find targets.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is don't bother. 2nd gen is old technology as well. Walking with NVGs can be difficult if your not used to it because it provides zero depth perception, that's why you often see soldiers extend the goggle out from their eye a little bit so they can see what's going on with their feet. I suppose if the device had an IR (infra red light) attached you could turn it on and it would help you see what's in the hole when you're digging, but keep in mind everything will still be shades of green.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Night hunting does not sound very fun...

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You only need to see where your coil is and where your feet are going. Before I say this, I understand that it might interfere with the coil electronically and would have to be tested.

A tiny "color of your choice" low-intensity LED placed at the bottom of the lower rod. The light would be confined to ground level and much less likely to be spotted from afar. Maybe add a dimmer control. I'd place the LED(s) securely, tape any wires securely to the shaft up to the battery pack placed somewhere appropriate - can't have wires, etc. moving around as you swing.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: I would think a guy walking around in the dark without a light would draw my attention and curiosity quicker!:laughing7:

I have hunted with a flashlight but I found it to be a pain!! It was more fun to go to lit up small parks, even though most signs say close at dark, I have never been stopped. Of course I wasn't there at 2 or 3 in the morning either. Never tried night vision! sounds fun!:laughing7: Imagine what a cop walking up to question that would think! Too funny!!!

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, as nitric said, guy with no lights out in the dark, is going to get challenged much quicker than some guy with lights pointed down towards the ground....

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems high $ for 2nd. generation Nods !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread