Detector Advice Needed

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a really good metal detector. I think I have narrowed my choices down to five detectors. I want a reliable, up-to-date metal detector. Something I don't have to update in a year or two. I am looking for a relic/coin/treasure detector that will eliminate trash. I will be hunting in moderately to heavy ground mineralization, so I need a detector that works good in those conditions.

The five detectors:

Garrett GTI-2500 PRO Plus Treasure Hound with Eagle Eye pinpoint

Fisher Gemini-3

Minelab Sovereign GT Metal Detector

White's Spectra V3i Metal Detector

Minelab CTX-3030

My head is swimming with info and want to get a fresh perspective on what you the community thinks of these choices, and get your opinions. If you think there is a metal detector that you think is better, please feel free to recommend another detector. Any and all information will be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Brian T. Booth

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York! With your budget (Minelab CTX 3030), seems to me you can get whatever you want. You'll have dealers bombarding you with "deals." The main thing in Kentucky, is being able to manually ground balance. I suggest the Tesoro Tejon, Minelab Explorer SE, and the Teknetics T2. Good Luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need it to be waterproof, get the CTX3030, if not, an E-trac or the V3i would be my choice.

ahaulil

Apr 19, 2011
North Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Teknetics T2 SE is a great machine.
I hunt northern AZ (high mineralization) works fine.
I also use it on the beach in CA right up to the water. In the water, not so good.
Everyone in my area uses White, Fisher and Minelab and while I can't learn from others, I feel I find things others miss.
Nothing brings me more joy then following somebody with a $5000 Minelab and digging a prize.
I saw a guy using a cheepo with headphones kicking butt at my last hunt. He sure knew his machine!

Scott

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett GTI-2500 PRO Plus Treasure Hound with Eagle Eye pinpoint. My buddy has one, was not impressed, he is going selling it.

Fisher Gemini-3. Fishers are good most are iron hounds.

Minelab Sovereign GT Metal Detector. Great for what you want to do.

White's Spectra V3i Metal Detector. Works well in most situations. Can chatter if not set up correctly.

Minelab CTX-3030. Has a manual ground balance feature as a quick button on display pad. When set up well it should do the trick also. It is a newer unit so keep checking post here and other sites to get a good feel.

Ed D.

OP
OP
Brian T. Booth

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To everyone who gave advice, Thank You so much for taking time out of your day to Advise me on a detector. Still in the process of making a choice. I'm doing all my homework before pulling the trigger on a detector. Again, thanks guys for your advice.

Happy hunting and good luck,

Brian T. Booth

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
V3i is awesome. Researched areas that I have hammered before with a tesero silver and found alot of deeper and smaller coins, also it is a top of the line detector that won't need to be replaced any time soon

dbeach8253

Greenie
Apr 4, 2012
Burbank Il
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 / Mindlab safari / CTX 3030 Garrett
Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well CTX 3030 has it all maybe a little to much but hell sometimes more is better thats why i bought it and from what i see there some great deals going on all i can say is take your time Hope it helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions