Detector Depth do you have to Pay for it?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
My brother and I have ace 250s which we picked up new for around $200.00 each. We have found alot of clad coins, tokens and some silver also musketballs, buttons and tons of junk. My brother is talking about upgrading to a whites so he can get more depth. We have hit some very old sites where we have been skunked and we walk away with the feeling what have we missed? Are the coins there and are detectors arn't reaching them. Will a $800.00 whites detect deeper that a $200.00 ace? I know they will discriminate better.

Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol,

Ace 250's are as good as any highend machine as far as I am concerned. Get a larger coil and it will go deeper... :icon_study: Depth is based on coil size with these basic machines. I don't own an Ace 250 but I have seen lots of reviews and articles on these machines and from what people say they are great machines. Keep this machine save your money and get a bigger coil.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Michigan Badger said:
extractor said:
If you want depth, Just save your money and get a PI .

Do you use a PI?

I had the Garrett Infinium a couple years ago.
MB , Why did you sell the Infinium you only kept it about 2 weeks ? But i sold mine to..

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim_K said:
Michigan Badger said:
extractor said:
If you want depth, Just save your money and get a PI .

Do you use a PI?

I had the Garrett Infinium a couple years ago.
MB , Why did you sell the Infinium you only kept it about 2 weeks ? But i sold mine to..

Mostly because I decided I wanted the Explorer SE. I have a deal with my wife that I won't spend family money on my hobby so I sell stuff on ebay to fund my detecting addiction. This means selling off one machine to buy another. It's a pain but the marriage is more important.

I got myself into this mess years ago when I blew $30,000 within about 6 months time buying treasure hunting equipment, etc. ;D

I went with the SE mostly because I started to lose faith in the PI unit for my types of hunting.

Why did you sell yours?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I had no use for mine either i always have the sovereign with the large coil 15 inch wot and a sun ray 12 inch... i will never get rid of the sovereign i have had one sovereign or another ever since they came out in 1991 or 92 ...i will keep the 1023 for what i paid for it it would be crazy to sell it. I might get a used Tesoro or garrett cheap one for when i go to Canada for Minelab's are not worth crap up there....I took my sovereign up to canada once hunted all day did not find a thing then found out they do not work on the coins up there took a Garrett to the same place the next day BAM all kind of target hits......That was when i found out that all Minelab's no matter what model does not work good on coins in Canada....... But i hear that Tesoro's are great up there..............

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim_K said:
I had no use for mine either i always have the sovereign with the large coil 15 inch wot and a sun ray 12 inch... i will never get rid of the sovereign i have had one sovereign or another ever since they came out in 1991 or 92 ...i will keep the 1023 for what i paid for it it would be crazy to sell it. I might get a used Tesoro or garrett cheap one for when i go to Canada for Minelab's are not worth crap up there....I took my sovereign up to canada once hunted all day did not find a thing then found out they do not work on the coins up there took a Garrett to the same place the next day BAM all kind of target hits......That was when i found out that all Minelab's no matter what model does not work good on coins in Canada....... But i hear that Tesoro's are great up there..............

Yes, I sold one of my Tejon's to a lady in Canada and she loved it. It was mint condition and as I recall I let her have it for $350 postpaid. But if I were you I'd try that 1023. Just because it was low cost don't let that intimidate you. It's mega fast and will find long time buried coins 8 inches deep. The 1023 is much deeper than the Silver uMax with stock coil. And too your 1023 has an excellent auto ground balance and Tesoro is fixed GB. Then add the fact the 1023 has about twice the recovery speed--well--try the 1023. Did you know the 1023 can do that Tesoro nail and coin trick? Yep--discriminate out a nail and place it over a penny and the 1023 will see the penny under that nail just like a Tesoro.

I agree too about the GT. Right now everyone has the hots for Fisher but I think this will be rather short lived. At any rate it's a good time to watch for a deal on a used GT but unfortunately there are too many people out there who know how good they are. Nobody will fool them.

I also like the Explorer.

I no longer have my GT but sold it a couple years ago (big mistake). It would air test about 14 inches on a silver quarter (stock Tornado coil).

The guy who bought it from me still thinks I'm the most awesome seller on earth ;D That GT totally changed his detecting.

I still recall the day I checked by the sidewalk leading to my office. I had checked it hundreds of times with the best machines. That day with the GT I got a loud signal and dug a large flat brass ca. 1800's buckle at 14-18 inches deep! I used a full sized shovel so I know it was well over a foot. Even my mighty Nautilus never saw it.

But the trick with all Minelabs is hunt slowly and don't overpower them. Lots of people hate Minelabs because they set the sensitivity way too high and they false like crazy.

But like you say those Canadian coins are buggers. But I'll bet any old coins (real copper, silver) would be hit hard with a Minelab even in Canada. In a way, if I lived up there I'd like missing those cheap tokens.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
undertaker, excellent question, you are bringing out some excellent info from these guys. After reading this I'm re-thinking about what I'm gonna buy next.

We have to balance fantasy vs reality. What they seem to be saying is we are talking about every-day common metal detecting reality and ability. It seems that no matter what, we are only talking one or two inches, but still its nice to have some luxury, its mostly up to your wallet. It must be agreed that coil size and type are the key, but knowing the machine is just as important to going deep.

With upper end machines you pay for more settings and better target feedback and robust build and lighted backscreens on and on. None of this is going deeper. The old vs new technology depth catastrophe is also true. SOME old machines can detect deeper than SOME new machines.

Like Mbadger says, concentric coils go deeper, and I would bet my CZ20 (1994) with its 8" concentric coil would hit hard on 97% of any target that any other 8" concentric coil VLF machine (old or new) can find. I'd even go up against a 10" DD coil on most of them with the CZ20. The poor thing is dead now and its going to be really hard to replace. I'm thinking top of the line is not the way to go for depth.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab changed my mind

I love Tesoro, especially the Vaquero. The deepest coin I found with this machine was 10" (V Nickel). That experience never repeated itself and for the most part I became diappointed with the depth capabilities. The 10" coin I found was from a favorite hunting spot Pointdlr and I hit hard for about 6 months. This is a spot where coins sank deep and I mean real deep. It is a silt laden old campsite near a creek. The Vaquero had no problem hitting coins at 6"-7", but after that it was chance. Pointdlr, on the other hand, was useing the Minelab SE and it didn't take long for me to notice he was pulling out silver left and right while my finds dwindled. I knew I had to cough up some money after I saw him pull out a silver dime at 13". This no fib, really it happened. I was amazed. He was hitting all the coins I missed and most of them he pulled out were 8-12" in depth. Long story short I went out and bought the Explorer ll. I only use the 8" DD coil and only get about 9" max, but if it's under my coil anywhere in between I'll probably find it, even with iron nearby. (I can't pin point worth a darn with the stock). The learning curve with these machines is apparent, but the technology is very good. If you are results oriented person, you should try the Explorer series.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread needs more EasyMoney

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyLarry and EasyMoney are the same person.

One day about 2+ months ago I tried to sign on here and was given a new ID. Not sure why.

:thumbsup:

EasyMoney

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Minelab changed my mind

lostlake88 said:
I love Tesoro, especially the Vaquero. The deepest coin I found with this machine was 10" (V Nickel). That experience never repeated itself and for the most part I became diappointed with the depth capabilities. The 10" coin I found was from a favorite hunting spot Pointdlr and I hit hard for about 6 months. This is a spot where coins sank deep and I mean real deep. It is a silt laden old campsite near a creek. The Vaquero had no problem hitting coins at 6"-7", but after that it was chance. Pointdlr, on the other hand, was useing the Minelab SE and it didn't take long for me to notice he was pulling out silver left and right while my finds dwindled. I knew I had to cough up some money after I saw him pull out a silver dime at 13". This no fib, really it happened. I was amazed. He was hitting all the coins I missed and most of them he pulled out were 8-12" in depth. Long story short I went out and bought the Explorer ll. I only use the 8" DD coil and only get about 9" max, but if it's under my coil anywhere in between I'll probably find it, even with iron nearby. (I can't pin point worth a darn with the stock). The learning curve with these machines is apparent, but the technology is very good. If you are results oriented person, you should try the Explorer series.

Yep, I noticed the same thing with the Explorer. It is a silver machine. Actually so is the Minelab Sovereign GT.

Tesoros thing is copper alloy metals and it also does well on lead.

It's like differ tools for different situations I guess.

If I were hunting a CW camp in high-dry country I'd go with the Tejon over the Explorer. For one thing the nasty underbrush would be easier to work around.

I know what you mean by deep coins. Any low ground near a muddy river is deep coin territory. I know of a site that has loads of wheats but they run about 8++ inches deep and after dug they're worthless due to corrosion. I dug a couple silver Rosies that were also junk. Really nasty ground!

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
I hunt with an F2. and got hunting with someone who has an explorer II. and he swears that i'll get more silver (any silver for that matter). if i upgrade to a minelab. it kinda bumms me out when i'm told this as i cant afford a 1000.00 detector right now or in the near future. sometimes it make me not want to get out and hunt. the depth reader says 10 inches when i use the pinpoint on the F2. i know it will go six with the right soil. and sweep speed. plus i'm not using headphones. but there are places we hunt where the silver is 15 inches down. but if you think about it 6-8 inches is still pretty deep. to dig 6-8 holes all day will work your hands out.
so dont be discouraged. stick with it. i have to tell myself that all the time.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem with depth is it's like gas mileage. Many a person fudges the true results. Also, If every machine was capable of reliably picking up a dime at 12", we'd all be looking for a new madhine that would pick it up at 18". If your hunting technique is consistent and you regularly pick up coins to 6" and sometimes to 8 or 9, I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to go out and spend a pile of money on an upscale detector unless you just plain want one anyway. And then, if you can, I'd add it to what I already have making the first detector a loaner or backup. After all, anything worth having is worth having two (or more) of.
HH
BB

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
If all our detectors could find coins and jewelry at 10 + there would be too few coins and jewelry to find - and we would buy them instead of hunt them.

College Philosophy Logic Class 101

LL :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LuckyLarry said:
If all our detectors could find coins and jewelry at 10 + there would be too few coins and jewelry to find - and we would buy them instead of hunt them.

College Philosophy Logic Class 101

LL :thumbsup:
Well the only detector i would like to have if i ever hear more about it is the TDI PI so far i have never had one in my hands to see if i would like it....

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I havent read through whats already been said,so I apologize if this has been said.First,there are variables that effect depth,ground type,ground moisture,air temperature and I beleive(call me crazy)barometer.Different coils,cast a different signal pattern some in a cone some straight down,effects depth.Size of target also comes into play.But in the end,my best finds including a gold coin was only 3 inches deep,its a physiological thing,"I didnt find it because it was too deep or what lies below???"

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hunters

I firmly believe that any of the big name brand machines you buy in the 250-300 dollar range will find anything you want.

Why?

Because what really matters is doing research and knowing how to use your detector to the best of its ability.

Like many here have said before, most treasures are no more than 6 inches down.

the cheaper detectors can find this stuff!!

I don't understand why but people go out and buy some of the most expensive machines expecting to find treasure wherever they go!!???

They think they can go into a random area that may have never had any civilization on it and expect to find something with their $800+ minelab..lol....

Yes maybe you have better discrimination ability, but you could also miss out due to using the discrimination..

Unless you want depth of like more than 3 feet, yeah your going to have to buy expensive machines, but most are not looking to go that deep.

Why spend your money on these high dollar detectors??

Larry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread