detector go-no go test target - anyone use one ?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I find a test target helpful to keep me from getting the settings so out of whack that I have no signal,
with a GPX the test target is gold, pic below of mine

002.jpg

less than 2gm, big noise

perhaps the nicest I've seen was a small nugget glued to a red poker chip

others ?

edit: mods feel free to move to metal detecting

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of having a "target garden" ( I can't grow anything) that I can't remember where things are at, I use a half sheet of plywood across some plastic buckets I can put various targets right on top of it.

That way I can reset my memory to make a connection with different targets.

This comes in really handy with my old Tesoro notch detectors when I'm looking for a lost ring or such.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BL rather more sophisticated than a go-no go

I can think of a lot of words for me, but sophisticated isn't one of them. :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep a nickel in my finds pouch. Helpful just to make sure everything is a "go."

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much - at least for US coins. Though there are some less conductive things that are worth digging.

I used to run a Minelab Musketeer that has no notch or display, so in trashy areas I'd set the discrimination to just give a clear signal on a nickel. Pretty sure it works - because with either the Minelab or my Fisher I dig a LOT of nickels that I assume other detectorists pass over. Usually with the F-75 I set no notch or much discrimination (6 out of 99) and rely on audio and the display.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice test piece! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread