Detectorists Against Treasure Themed Shows!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I started a group on Facebook called "Detectorists against Diggers" here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/nodiggertv/

This group was formed to state our dissatisfaction with the show "Diggers" which appears on the National Geographic Network.

The show portrays metal detecting as a group of modern day pirates, who plunder historic sites for profit.

The truth is that we are resposible hobbyists who enjoy the searching for valuables, following a strict code of ethics, which specifies that we WILL REPORT TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES ANY INDIVIDUALS WHO ENTER AND OR REMOVE ARTIFACTS FROM FEDERAL PARKS OR STATE PRESERVES.

Additionally, most detectorists do not sell their finds, with the exception of modern jewelry, which is sold only after unsuccessfully trying to locate the rightful owners.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Neil in West Jersey said:
I started a group on Facebook called "Detectorists against Diggers" here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/nodiggertv/

This group was formed to state our dissatisfaction with the show "Diggers" which appears on the National Geographic Network.

The show portrays metal detecting as a group of modern day pirates, who plunder historic sites for profit.

The truth is that we are resposible hobbyists who enjoy the searching for valuables, following a strict code of ethics, which specifies that we WILL REPORT TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES ANY INDIVIDUALS WHO ENTER AND OR REMOVE ARTIFACTS FROM FEDERAL PARKS OR STATE PRESERVES.

Additionally, most detectorists do not sell their finds, with the exception of modern jewelry, which is sold only after unsuccessfully trying to locate the rightful owners.
Funny you mention this...I just watched the show for the first time and was completely put off by what I saw. Those guys are jackasses...Civ?Rev?Colongne? Gimme a break! They portray it like you say, all about profit and nothing about saving history and so forth. Shows like this will have every yahoo out there mimicking them which is BAD for responsible metal detectorists like most of us are. Shame on national geographic for not at least getting more professional individuals to do the show if it has to be done. From what I understand there was a show on in the 70's about detecting which caused a big increase in the amount of people in the hobby and the archies raised a stink and had a federal law passed because it. We DO NOT need a show like diggers shedding that kind of light on our hobby and we don't need to give archies or anyone else any ammunition to use against us.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Your focus is wrong. It's not the guys hunting. It's NatGeo.

This is reality TV guys, have you never seen it before? The content of the show is controlled by NG, the scenes most likely manipulated, and in case you didn't notice, the boring stuff like filling holes and digging up pulltabs wasn't shown. I agree that NatGeo needs to see some pressure about the show-they obviously have no idea the kind of fine line we detectorists actually walk between 'profit' (as if..), history, and hobby. I think the overall result will be mixed-there will be more people getting into detecting, but also more people getting their high and mighty panties in a wad that somebody is out there finding something historical when they think only archaeologists should be doing that.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me a break with all the :crybaby2: here :laughing9:

I love when hobbyists talk about saving history and yet hold on the the item themselves. I guess it's displayed in a trophy chest, or a shadow box for their personal enjoyment :dontknow: :laughing7:

As far as valuables go, yes it is the right thing to return an item if possible, but many items will have no ID whatsoever. Once the item is yours, it's yours to do as you please with it. Sell it, pawn it, melt it down, save it in bags, or put it in a pile and stare at it :laughing9:

Most are in the hobby for one, or two reasons. Bottom line is that it's for personal gain, end of story :laughing9:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil with All due Respect

and alot of Agreement with what you say.

Your Facebook page may make things worse.

Archies & Lawmakers will see it &
maybe get Ideas

& Guess what Ideas Archies want,
& What Lawmakers like to do.

PLEASE Reconsider.

PLEASE :o

How about Get rid of "Scripted fake Reality Shows"
& Nat-Geo , tru TV etc.

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the show. As far as selling any of the items they find, it's no different than anyone finding a gold ring with no identifying marks and selling it for gold value. These guys are fun and promote a fun attitude toward the hobby. They aren't your stereotypical "Socks and Sandals, fannypack wearing detectorists" most people seem to think we are. It's not scripted...If you've ever watched their Extreme Metal Detecting series of videos they made before NatGeo picked them up for tv, then you would know. I for one hope they continue making entertaining tv for a long time to come. If there were a "dislike" button on facebook, I'd hit it for this page. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
jeff of pa said:
Neil with All due Respect

and alot of Agreement with what you say.

Your Facebook page may make things worse.

Archies & Lawmakers will see it &
maybe get Ideas

& Guess what Ideas Archies want,
& What Lawmakers like to do.

PLEASE Reconsider.

PLEASE :o

How about Get rid of "Scripted fake Reality Shows"
& Nat-Geo , tru TV etc.

This is the "Jersey Shore" of metal detecting. People see our great state as being nothing but gangsters and gangstahs.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:
If your gonna be against it like myself dont watch it. They like the ratings and buzz you are creating

That is exactly what they're after. :thumbsup: Well said!

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
bigscoop said:
bluehunter1973 said:
If your gonna be against it like myself dont watch it. They like the ratings and buzz you are creating

That is exactly what they're after. :thumbsup: Well said!
Agreed.
This sure has stire up the Archeologists. Next will be the law makers.

Well it just might have given a way for them to create tools against relic hunting and metal detecting ( treasure hunting) over all.
Get a couple of fools and do a reality show. It do stir the pot.
I believe it is going to get interesting to watch all of this., I doubt if I will watch the shows..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted One said:
But look at the other anti detectorist show facebook pages out there already. While you may not like it, do we really need to turn on other metal detectorist along with the Archies?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stop-...iggers-Looting-Show/240273139398170

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peopl...ican-Digger/193110227460512?sk=wall

Agreed.
This sure has stire up the Archeologists. Next will be the law makers.

Well it just might have given a way for them to create tools against relic hunting and metal detecting ( treasure hunting) over all.
Get a couple of fools and do a reality show. It do stir the pot.
I believe it is going to get interesting to watch all of this., I doubt if I will watch the shows..
Exactly.

All the Lawmakers will see is the #'s against Metal Detecting
& Treasure Hunting.

Not the #'s against acting like a fool on TV for ratings,
at the expense of our Hobby.

They can't make Acting illegal

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep forgetting - that like it or not
these TV people dont care about us or what we have to say
they are not doing theseshows for us
we are a minority
they are doing these for Joe public
and trying to get something different - funny - weird
and if every TH'er in the world joined hands in protest or
refused to watch - they would not care
these guys are just props - I have a contract from a production company in my hands
as we speak - it says that if agree to their terms - that i will do what Im told - that I have no say -
and to keep my ideas to myself and pretty much dont speak unless spoken to -
and even then - we'll tell you what to say
just thought Nat.Geo
would have had more integrity than to do it this way
could have been so much better - but that is what happens
when you have people that know nothing about our hobby
run these things

I support this post. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I will not support facebook. That place is scary and I recommend NO ONE give their personal information on facebook!

You will be monitored!

Now I know a bunch of names just from visiting your link. I thought about showing my support but that would put my name to it.

I only go on facebook once in a blue moon to answer friend requests from people I haven't seen in over 20 years and probably will never see again! :laughing9:

I do agree with you but.........

Sorry man, facebook sucks!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creating controversy creates viewers. Don't create the controversy and the viewers go away, and then the show.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still cant help but wonder who screens these people. God I hope they arent Tnet members. Jeff can you confirm if they are?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course everyone has an opinion. You either like it or you don't. If you like it watch it, if you don't, don't! Making a lot of fuss about it will serve no purpose either way.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A positive is that by summer time this year we will all have the detectors of our dreams!

FOLLOW MY TIMELINE:

Noobies and fad-followers will watch Diggers....
They will go out and buy metal detectors sure to find The Holy Grail and a buried gold chest...
They will buy the detector to their hobby's spending level (F2's to V3i's)...
Manufacturers and dealers will reap the windfall...
Manufacturers will spend more on better tech, more R&D, better materials, etc...
They will go out a few times and finally realize it takes patience, skill, and knowing your machine...
They will quit out of frustration because it 'was not that easy'...
Ebay will be filled with detectors for pennies on the dollars hoping to recoup some of their investment...
We, the real detectorists, will be the winners in the end...

That's just my 2-cents from 15+ years in the marketing/sales/and business management field...

One thing that I did like that they did on Diggers last night.
They actually did, multiple times say 'we were invites', 'we got permission', and the message at the end warning people TO get permission and follow laws...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread