Detectorists vs. Pokemon (We win!)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Anyone else been thinking about the Pokemon craze - by the way, is it already over? - and how it relates to our hobby. Appeals to people's natural curiosity to find things...seems similar, though what we find is much more compelling and even historic. Seems to me we win that comparison. I think it's fortunate that people actually have to make a big effort to get into detecting, as it provides a good set of barriers to a mass of humanity getting into it and ruining it. Thoughts - oh and anyone run into Pokenman crazies while detecting?

Upvote 1

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably over already, this is the most exercise most of them have ever had in their lives.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 9-year-old son metal detects with me and started Pokemon. I was a bit worried that it would interfere with our detecting fun. After about two days he quit Pokemon and said something like "Daddy, pinpointing is waaaaaaay funner".

I have succeeded as a father.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad my Daughters arent into pokeman. I told them by the time your 18 you will probobly have stared at your phones for 2 years I remember when kids use to play outside.!! she said well by the time your 50 you will ahve stared at the tv for 7 years guess shes right smart a!!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You saw this didn't you?! :laughing7:

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This

Attachments

• 1471280694996.jpg
    1471280694996.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 68

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I was pulling out of a convenience store parking lot.

Two Pokemorons came running out from behind the store and out into the lot from next to the dumpster.

Both with heads down in the phone oblivious to anything around them.

Thinking about it after a bit I should have not spilled my coffee and just ran them over.

The city of Tampa is trying to get them (the pretend creatures) removed from a park.

There is a local cemetery that has a guard at the entrance now to keep the Pokepeople out. They are interrupting burial services.

I've not had any problems with them, but they are creating their own issues and complaints.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions