DetectorPro Headhunter Diver Underwater Metal Detector

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
Today I stopped by Hudson Valley Metal Detectors the manufacturer of the Detector Pro line I am friends with the owner Gary Storm he told me he is not producing the diver model any longer due to the high costs producing the molds for the waterproof model earmuffs. He will honor the warranties and the few remaining units he has left in stock are it, there will be no more. Just a heads up. I have used this model and I felt it lacks in quality and craftsmanship, the earmuff is waterproofed with a o-ring that seals the electronics from the water. You remove the earmuff outer half with a coin by prying it open and after installing a new battery you simply lay the muff cover over the o-ring on the inner earmuff half and squeeze them together and a very slight click will be heard that would signify a sealed compartment which takes almost no effort to squeeze closed about the same pressure needed to put a lid on a styrofoam coffee cup. Heres the clincher... water pressure at depth is what keeps the o- ring compressed by the halves so in shallow water by simply looking from right to left quickly water could get by the o-ring. On land as you walk the head phones would keep falling down lower over your ears while hunting in the woods the little plastic teeth that keep the phones locked would be overcome by the weight of the phones and stopping to readjust was done every 10 minuets. With a dealer cost of $450.00 that would be a fair retail price no more...

jmevans

Jan 5, 2009
Waldron Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
if anyone wants to trade I have a minelab e-trac but im really looking a waterproof detector so i can start making money. School is coming back soon and all the children will be gone for 8 hours a day and i need a paycheck anyways let me know thanks

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if anyone wants to trade I have a minelab e-trac but im really looking a waterproof detector so i can start making money. School is coming back soon and all the children will be gone for 8 hours a day and i need a paycheck anyways let me know thanks

I love my DetectorPro because its water resistant, deep and lightweight but its extremely erratic. I wouldnt want to trade mine to anybody unless I can find a way to repair it.

Im thinking of buying a new coil. Maybe my coil is defective. It never worked right from day one and all my electronics have been changed but its still messed up. Did I say I love it? Well its the only surf PI Unit I own so I have to like it.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently had the pleasure of testing the latest version of the HH Diver. I live in New York and know Gary the owner/manufacturer of these machines well. To start the overall construction of this unit is poorly constructed the ear muffs kept falling down to your neck as you walked due to a poorly designed locking system. 2) The battery connectors on the unit do not fit on the 9 volt battery posts the connectors are too big and needed to be squeezed closed with pliers. 3) After turning on and setting the Sens to max and backing off to no noise at all I started to hunt well maybe 3-5 mins no hits at all so I scanned my steel toe and got a hit so I proceeded to hunt on and after doing this same routine relentlessly because I was not sure the machine was on due to the machines silence and not one hit. So after a hour or two I stabbed a hole into the ground 3" deep and slid a quarter down to the bottom on its edge and covered the coin and scanned it........ you guessed it NO HIT so I cut a plug 3" deep and layed a quarter on edge covered it stomped it scanned it and ........you guessed it NO HIT so again at 2" same way I got a slight hit and I mean slight by this time only 3-4 hours later the shaft has now loosened up and clicks when you swing the coil to either side due to the minimal thickness of the shaft wall thickness. 4) The o-ring on the ear muffs has a snowballs chance in hell of keeping out water it relies on the pressure of the water at depth to keep the seals surfaces closed. All in All it was without a doubt the worst detector I have ever laid my hands on. It sports the cheapest materials, it is poorly constructed making this machine a high dollar made in the USA piece of poo. You would think a guy who has sold detectors for years and now manufactures them would take pride in his work and would want to give the consumer a high end product. This is not my opinion it is fact like it or not.
It appears they are all different. Some work well, some work a little, and some work very poorly. It sounds as if your electronics may have gotten wet. When mine flooded, I lost all depth. And you are correct, the o-rings on the ear muffs have a snowballs chance in hell of keeping out water. They will fall apart just walking across the street to the beach. I keep my head above water at all times and it keeps them from flooding. And they dont slide off my ears.

I dont have any complaints about the quality and I got mine at a fair price for a Pulse Unit. I found a way to tighten the shaft by using a plastic bolt.. I just wish it would work without so many false signals almost every second unless I hold it perfectly still.. And this was after the new electronics.

I have great depth but its extremely erratic. I actually learned to look for the millisecond of silence to judge when I have a signal.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread