DetectorPro Rattler headphone saves a life.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This happened last weekend.

I have a Kerry Blue Terrier, Jake, who accompanies me on my walks on the back hill. Sunday at about 6:00PM in the evening I went for a quick hunt along a trail behind our house. The day had been sunny and we had been doing yard and garden work, but it wasnā€™t especially hot: 80Āŗ. It had been 10Āŗ warmer the day before when we had taken our kayaks to a local river. (Jake rides in mine ā€“ he has an Outward Hound life jacket even).

At one point in the trail it crosses a brushy section that Jake dislikes as the bush is at his eye level. He traverses the outside under the thorn-apple branches I hate. Works for both of us. On the back side he never appeared. After I called a bit he showed and we continued. I was using my F-75 with a DetectorPro Rattler headphone ā€“ single ear cup. I heard Jake gacking and went over to see what heā€™d gotten into. Didnā€™t bring up much but a bit of grass. I went back to detecting and a few minutes later it repeated ā€“ but this time he laid down on is belly and looked very ill or tired. Something was definitely wrong.

I got him up and checked his eyes, which were clear but unfocused, and immediately headed for home. He made it about 50 feet and then his legs went rubbery (I described it to the vet ā€œlike two drunks trying to keep each other uprightā€) and he fell onto his side again. This time his eyes were closed and the pupils were rolled up when I lifted the lids. He was totally unresponsive. After 15 seconds that seemed longer he came to, but did not move. He was breathing very shallow, not panting. I was afraid heā€™d eaten poison (we have lots of coyotes and you never know who might be setting poisoned bait). I carried him (38 lbs) the Ā¼ mile back to the house. Thank God for modern lightweight detectors. I got the phone and the home veterinary care handbook and tossed the book to my wife while I dialed the vet. Being Sunday at 7:00P by then . . . answering service. The vet is far enough, the covering vet was maybe an hour drive. At the rate Jake seemed to be failing I doubted heā€™d make it. Heā€™s usually a coiled spring but was now unconscious again and limp. I said Iā€™d call them back if we decided to bring him in.

As he wasnā€™t vomiting more, didnā€™t bring up much earlier and wasnā€™t salivating and his ears were burning up to the touch and beet red inside. I tried the heat stroke remedies. Wet towels on his torso and icepacks to either side of the head. It was like watching someone wake up in slow motion. In 15 minutes he was sitting on his belly. In 30 minutes he was wagging his tail and drinking some water. I called the service back and said weā€™d stabilized him enough that we would see our regular vet in the morning.

The next morning he was his ā€˜ol (3 years) self. The vet said we did very well. One complication was an ear infection that had probably lead to some dehydration from a slight fever (and we had been outside in the sun the day before and half that day without poor Jake getting sufficient water breaks ā€“ shame on us!) . If heat exhaustion goes too long it becomes heat stroke, which is bad news in a dog. They lack sweat glands to moderate their internal heat and brain swelling will lead to coma and death in minutes. The very hot ears were the early warning symptom. We pass two creeks on that trail ā€“ both dried up at present. Poor feller was probably trying to find water but couldnā€™t.

Moral ā€“ if I hadnā€™t heard him retch the first time I might have lost time backtracking or trying to find him. That caused me to keep an eye on him and notice the rest.. I heard him because I was wearing the Rattler and not my ā€œDome of Silenceā€ Black Widows.

Product endorsement and a warning to keep an eye on your family in the heat. They may be stressing even if you arenā€™t.

PS ā€“ I only found a small copper washer. ļŒ

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Good on you Charlie! Glad to here your dog is fine. I've thought about buying the rattlers before because all the heavy snake traffic where in areas where I normally hunt, but decided to just look like a moron with one side jacked up a little over the ear so I can still get the sound but hear outside the headphones also.
Now you got me thinking about them again.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Glad to hear Jake is all right. When I take my dog for walks in my neighborhood I carry a bottle of water and give it to her halfway through the walk. The heat really gets to them.

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
From one dog owner to another, thanks for sharing your story.
I definitely learned from it.
DR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread