Detectors for mainly prospecting, but looking for old coins too

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been out of the detector market for a while, and was wondering how the Whites Vi3 compares to the TDI or the Minelab 3500-5000's for prospecting and other antiquities related detecting? A good friend suggests getting the Minelab 3500, but that is a chunk of change and I wondered how the Vi3 compares. I have a TDI, and frankly (i hate to say it), but I cannot figure out how to make it work correctly. I dial it in and move it over a 7dwt nugget and it doesn't even see it. If it cannot see a 7dwt nugget laying on the ground, I am at a loss to see how it sees anything buried. So I am thinking maybe the detector is too smart for my simple mind to comprehend. Maybe I need something simplier. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher Goldbug Pro
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good all around machine for gold, coins , and relics is the White's MXT & MXT Pro. If you want coins, forget about the Minelab GPX, GP3500 - 5000 or any of their other PI machines.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no one machine that will do it all well. If gold prospecting is what you plan on doing, get a gold machine. The Gold Bug is the best low priced machine but the Minelab 4500 or 5000 is the best overall. If you want to find coins or jewelry, the CTX3030, Etrac, V3i, have discrimination and are all excellent at that but not sensitive enough for small gold.....even with a specialty coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread