[Deteknix Quest] What was your VERY FIRST metal detector?

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Deteknix Quest] What was your VERY FIRST metal detector?
[Deteknix Quest]: I’m in!

$$$$ I am attending [Deteknix Quest].Post and win our prize. $$$$
POST TO WIN.jpg
Price Quest Pro.png
Deteknix Forum

What was the very first metal detector you owned?

:coffee2:

Upvote 0

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites Gold Master BFO. 1961 or 1962. Non-discrimlnator work your butt off but found a few coins.
Good Luck & HH

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites Gold Master BFO. 1961 or 1962. Non-discrimlnator work your butt off but found a few coins.
Good Luck & HH

Wow, OG right there.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And i bet it wasn't cheap.

Actually just the opposite. If I was able to buy it as a teenager it had to be pretty affordable, as we weren't a wealthy family. My memory is crap nowadays but I seem to remember two figures from when I was ordering via the post office... $60 and $120.... so it had to be one of those two... I'm leaning towards the $120 but I'm struggling to recall where & how I came up with that sum as a teen.... maybe birthday/grad/savings money... *shrug* If I get the energy to go through all my papers in storage I bet I could find the copy of the money order I paid with... I tend to hold on to those things.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A used Whites 66TR in about 1976. That was a circa early 1970s machine, so it was only about 5 yrs. old at the time I got it. But was already a dinosaur, because in 1976 discriminators began to be on the market. So I updated to a Garret Ground (vlf/tr) in about 1979. But that TOO was already a dinosaur because there were motion discriminators out that were kicking b*tt. Doh!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good Luck & HH

Hey jeweler21, thanx for chiming in. What was the depth on coin-sized objects that that machine could get ? And what type places were you taking it to ?

There was a fellow in our town who, in about 1964 had gotten one of those old Whites BFO's. He'd seen a classified ad in the back of a True West or Arizona Highways type magazine and had sent away for a catalog. He took this machine out to the older schoolyards in our city and got a lot of silver. I mean, go figure: silver was still in circulation, doh! I don't think the machine went more than a few inches deep, but that was all they needed to get quarters, halves, etc... They didn't know enough to use headphones, didn't go to any exotic areas, etc... To them, at the time, digging coins was pretty exciting, because at the time, I'm sure minimum wage was still $1.25 p/h.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACE350..> Followed quickly by a Harbor Freight 7 function for my son (who killed it on clad but totally wasted time having to dig everything. we upgraded him in 2 weeks with an ACE250...)

Whats a Harbor Freight 7, a detector?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine was a Whites Liberty 2 waaaaay back in 1985!

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey jeweler21, thanx for chiming in. What was the depth on coin-sized objects that that machine could get ? And what type places were you taking it to ?

There was a fellow in our town who, in about 1964 had gotten one of those old Whites BFO's. He'd seen a classified ad in the back of a True West or Arizona Highways type magazine and had sent away for a catalog. He took this machine out to the older schoolyards in our city and got a lot of silver. I mean, go figure: silver was still in circulation, doh! I don't think the machine went more than a few inches deep, but that was all they needed to get quarters, halves, etc... They didn't know enough to use headphones, didn't go to any exotic areas, etc... To them, at the time, digging coins was pretty exciting, because at the time, I'm sure minimum wage was still $1.25 p/h.

It would detect up to about four inches but you found ten thousand pieces of trash for every item that was a keeper. Never found much with the White's. Then about 1974 A.H. Electronics came out with a very good
TR/VLF Discriminator. I paid about $400 for it and it paid for itself in the first 2 hours. I had pockets full of silver coins and gold rings.
Good Luck & HH

CaptjimUP

Oct 17, 2015
Chassell, MI
Detector(s) used
Garret Grand Master Hunter CXIII
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was a Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII and I still use it today. I also own a AT Pro.
937f1590fc4d7967428ddc5586ef3e90.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was a Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII and I still use it today. I also own a AT Pro.
937f1590fc4d7967428ddc5586ef3e90.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Awesome, great pic.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in 1977 I was stationed in Erlangen Germany and was board out of my mind hanging around the barracks, so I decide to try metal detecting. I saw an add in a magazine for a Relco Metal Detector and decided to buy one through the mail. Erlangen was a large army base with dozens of old German Army barracks that all dated to World War I.
It would have been metal detector heaven, but this Relco Detector really sucked!:icon_scratch: I spent hours & hours trying to find something good, all I found was rusty chunks of iron.:dontknow:

I became so disillusioned that I gave up the hobby until 1985. In 1985 I purchase a Fisher 1220X. The 1220X was awesome! I found my first silver coins and gold rings with it....The rest is history.8-)

Attachments

• Relco metal detector.jpg
    Relco metal detector.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Fisher 1220X.jpg
    Fisher 1220X.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^ Cool story. Too bad you didnt have that Fisher in Germany.

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember what it was exactly but I think it was an old White's or Garrett. All I remember is that it was heavy because I was 6 years old at the time.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
In the mid-60's, I was about 10, my Dad bought a used Goldak detector. I remember using it a couple of times, don't think we ever found anything with it. About 9 years ago I bought an Ace 250.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the mid-60's, I was about 10, my Dad bought a used Goldak detector. I remember using it a couple of times, don't think we ever found anything with it. About 9 years ago I bought an Ace 250.
The treasure bug itself obviously stuck with you your entire life, funny how that works.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metro Tech , June 1964

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Qmaze. Thanks for sharing your story. Please message me your contact info for the prize.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Qmaze. Thanks for sharing your story. Please message me your contact info for the prize.

Thank you Jason, contact info sent to PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread