Detroit area Metro Parks contacted our group to locate harmful objects.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it finally happened. The Detroit area Metro Park Authority has contacted my Search & Recovery Team about taking on the clean ups of their beaches and swim areas due to swimmers complaining about foot injuries. We use metal detectors and special "scoops" to retrieve objects in the water that should not be there, like all metal, Band-Aid's, paper cups, feminine hygiene products, glass and you name it. We were called to clean our first beach today at Stoney Creek and tomorrow at Kensington Maple beach. It is a good thing we have a good reputation with the county as they recommended us to them. When they found out we don't charge for the service, it was a done deal. Since my health is better I am able to join the guys more often. For obvious reasons we won't be posting any photo's of the better finds.

Upvote 0

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great. You did well. While detecting a park one time I made a point to empty my trash as a police officer walked by, he was impressed with the amount of trash. I was told I could metal detect any time. Now I collect all metal and give it to my brother in law who takes it to the recyclers and gets a few bucks.

Once, again nice job. Good to hear you are well.

Ed D.

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on all the goodies there I hope y'all find lots of gold

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great news....BUT somehow there needs to be some good press on this..... maybe an anonymous tip to the local news station to show the not often seen side of metal detecting.

Cliff

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cliff, I have been through the wringer on the publicity side of metal detecting these beaches as a "goodie two shoes," an it brings out the weirdo's that claim we have someone's Rolex or jewelry. It makes for bad publicity instead. Sort of like advertising you have gold in your house or a big gun collection.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cliff, I have been through the wringer on the publicity side of metal detecting these beaches as a "goodie two shoes," an it brings out the weirdo's that claim we have someone's Rolex or jewelry. It makes for bad publicity instead. Sort of like advertising you have gold in your house or a big gun collection.

Didn't think about it that way and unfortunately, you are right. Sad to say this country has gone down that path.... those with good intentions or just good people getting run over by others. I had to self sensor my choice of words to attempt not to offend......

Cliff

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep up the good work Sandman:
Glad the hear your health is better and Search & Recovery Team intact and functioning.
I agree with you about the weirdo's coming out.
In this and similar situations ignorance is bliss as it is not a pretty sight and some things
are better for children to learn and handle after they have grown.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Lee and I want to know how you did. Jim.

I am as busy as a one armed paper hanger cleaning those beaches. There will be nothing left in the water for after Labor Day. I am using the Tiger Shark with the Clean Sweep Coil (3"X18") I found five rings that were reported missing and able to return them unlike what happens at Thelma Spencer Park in Rochester Hills. 036.jpg

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Great Being able to help your community keeping people safe from dangerous objects !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions