thought it was something they did with
cats and dogs :P

;) ;D

have a good un...................

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: Detuning? What does it mean"

In my experience, it can mean a couple of things. First, in a manual tuning mode it can mean simply backing off the threshold setting. It can also mean retuning to a threshold level with the coil held near or over the target. That way, once the detector is retuned/detuned, a signal (and often a fainter one) will be received only when the item is pinpointed. You can also use the same technique to work around metal fences, posts, etc. With the coil close enough to them so that they cause an increase in signal, retune to a threshold. That way the large mass of metal will have less effect on the detector until you're within a few inches of it, but smaller targets directly under the coil will still register.

(Then again, if you're following Sherm's line of thought, just make sure that you have the dog's permission in writing.)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PBK's second Description is the One I would have gave.

I don't know how many detector Brands have the ability,
But on my Whites 6000-D

I would switch to all metal, re locate the target & Push the button on the handle.

Then Re locate center & push again. By doing this over & over (Detuning) I would be able to narrow the signal down to the size of the object. and know where to dig.

In Theory, you should be able to do the same in all metal near fences. arter De-tuning & you have the signal only react to the bottom center of the coil you should then be able to move the coil near a fence.

I believe Detuning is Only possable in all metal

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it can only be done in all metal, isn't that basically what your pinpointing feature is? Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
If it can only be done in all metal, isn't that basically what your pinpointing feature is? Monty

Yes

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

when im in a new area and want to PLAY AROUND with my sweep speed and filters i reduce my preamp and AC to make the target appear deeper. thats detuning to me on my DFX.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

By Jove I think I have it now! Thanks! Monty

beerdoodle

Oct 13, 2006

I detune every signal. Mainly you can identify the size and easier to pinpoint. I dont use a probe as this pretty much isolates your target.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder if there's a bit of confusion here.
As a couple of posts mention if you de tune then a target is reduced in size and becomes very easy to pinpoint. This should be done over the target. With an XLT you would repeatedly squeese the pinpoint switch rapidly a few times. You then only get a sharp blip of target response when the coil is directly centred over the target.
As the words used are 'promising signal' and going 'back over the spot' it sounds more like reverse discrimination is being talked about. This is when you locate a target. Slide the coil off sideways. Retune (so the machine is being tuned to the ground) then slide the coil back over the target. Discrimination is reversed ie if ferrous is indicated then its good, if it indicates good its a bad target. You get better I.D. at a greater depth.
Before anyone gets to excited it works well with non motion IB/TR/VLF's not modern motion machines.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

you Are correct Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread