Deus after-market headphones. What is your favorite?

jtorpy

Greenie
Apr 13, 2017
North half Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus with MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am looking to upgrade my deus ws4 headphones. I tried ordering the Vance muffs but they have been out of stock. Are there any other headphones you have found you really like for over the ear comfort and noise reduction? I have a couple of permissions that are near busy highway and the ws4's make it hard to hear those faint signals. I really don't want to turn up the audio response.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. First of all get acquainted with the search feature on the forum and then type in the following "Deteknix XP Deus". Read all the threads that pop up associated with the XP Deus and you will find out why I and several others here think these are the best aftermarket over the ear headphones for the WS4 puck. If after reading those posts and you are still interested in some Vance Muffs, I have a pair collecting dust that I would be willing to sell, just send me a PM.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. First of all get acquainted with the search feature on the forum and then type in the following "Deteknix XP Deus". Read all the threads that pop up associated with the XP Deus and you will find out why I and several others here think these are the best aftermarket over the ear headphones for the WS4 puck. If after reading those posts and you are still interested in some Vance Muffs, I have a pair collecting dust that I would be willing to sell, just send me a PM.

I sold my gray ghost (terrible sound) and vance muffs ( fitment) and use my Deteknix or WS5's.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone tested the "Deteknix XP Deus" headphones against the WS5 headphones for their ability to knockout surrounding noise? I found that the WS5 headphones are better than the WS4 headphones at reducing surrounding noise, but not by much.

tabman

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tested the "Deteknix XP Deus" headphones against the WS5 headphones for their ability to knockout surrounding noise? I found that the WS5 headphones are better than the WS4 headphones at reducing surrounding noise, but not by much.

tabman

I just did a very informal test and although neither of them are like wearing shooting muffs, as far as noise reduction goes, I would have to give the edge to the Deteknix phones.

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorites are a DIY setup that I made using Howard leight "leightning slimline" ear defenders. I have about $35 into them for the cost of the ear defenders and a set of WS4 backphones that I cannibalized for parts. You can find a good write up on an English forum if you google DIY deus headphones.

If you're handy at all, these are simple to make and amazingly comfy.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorites are a DIY setup that I made using Howard leight "leightning slimline" ear defenders. I have about $35 into them for the cost of the ear defenders and a set of WS4 backphones that I cannibalized for parts. You can find a good write up on an English forum if you google DIY deus headphones.

Good Info! Thanks for sharing. I bet the XP Corded Backphones speakers would work great in the Howard light "leightning slimline" ear defenders. They only cost around $25 bucks and sound great. Put them in some headphones that knock out the sounding noise and you would have a great setup for hunting along busy streets. The Howard 'leightning slimlines' are on Amazon for around $18 bucks.

tabman

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I know just the forum you're talking about! I made a set and posted it here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/504616-ws4-backphone-modifications.html, but the Mods told me I couldn't add a link to the UK forum :dontknow:

Since then, I have made a second set with my Whites Prostar headphones. They were by far my favorite headphones as far as sound goes, but the frames where a wreck with years a JB Weld and various fixes. So I moved the Prostar guts into another set of Howard Leight shooting muffs.

I also made a couple of these that I use http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/481002-my-deus-ws4-universal-puck-adapter.html This allows me to use any of my headphones with the WS4 puck.

I obviously love the versatility of the WS4 puck and enjoy making my own. Come to think of it, I used the WS4 backphones for two hunts and hated them... so nearly all of my hunting have been with my own creations, or using my adapter to use a different set of headphones. However, if\when I buy a set, it will be the Deteknix since I hear great things.

Last edited:

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know just the forum you're talking about! I made a set and posted it here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/504616-ws4-backphone-modifications.html, but the Mods told me I couldn't add a link to the UK forum :dontknow:

Your post is another one of the references I used for inspiration on how to make mine!
I definitely appreciate your help on that! I love my customs, they are perfect!

Two things I did different:

-I cut circles out of the howard leight foam pads so the speakers sit further inside and don't touch my ears.
-I shaved the tabs from the WS4 mount down and drilled holes to attach it with countersunk screws to the muffs. It's low profile and completely secure.

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your post is another one of the references I used for inspiration on how to make mine!
I definitely appreciate your help on that! I love my customs, they are perfect!

Two things I did different:

-I cut circles out of the howard leight foam pads so the speakers sit further inside and don't touch my ears.
-I shaved the tabs from the WS4 mount down and drilled holes to attach it with countersunk screws to the muffs. It's low profile and completely secure.

That's awesome man. Your two mods sound like awesome ideas. I actually haven't used my WS4 conversion Howard Leight phones much at all. You know how detectorists are... we get used to one thing and that's what we stick with. The sound the ws4 backphone speakers put out was hard for me to get used to. So they have been my backup headphones.

I had been using my WS4 puck adapter Velcro'ed onto the side of my Whites Prostar headphones as my primary set.

I didn't do a post on this one, but I moved my Whites Prostar guts over to another set of Howard Leight muffs.
After 4 years of abuse, and many fixes... the prostar frames were just shot.

IMG_20170126_125438.jpg IMG_20170126_164754.jpg

So I picked up another set of shooting muffs and moved everything over. These are much nicer with dual volume controls and the wire is thicker.

IMG_20170127_170142.jpg IMG_20170127_170707~2.jpg

As you know, its pretty simple to do with a soldering iron, drill bits and a little patience. Its GREAT to see that someone else is also making their own :occasion14:

The WS4 puck with the adapter plates were just begging for people to make their own stuff. :laughing7:

OP
OP
J

jtorpy

Greenie
Apr 13, 2017
North half Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus with MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ended up buying the deteknix and love them! Found a silver half dollar last time out. over 12 inches down and was faint for some reason. It had just rained before I went detecting and had a great night with the new headphones, despite the country highway noise 40 feet away. a 1898 IHP,1901 IHP, 1916 wheatie, 1936 wheatie, 1942 wheatie, 1900 barber dime, 1926 mercury dime and the 1945 standing liberty half dollar! It was my best hunt yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread