Deus, Etrac what to buy. help please.

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello well i am trying to take my time and narrow down what i need to buy. I am looking now at the Deus and the Etrac. I know everyone will say go to the ctx 3030 but at the moment i cannot swing the price since i can pick up a used etrac or deus or even new ones not to expensive. I am hoping to find someone who has had or has both machines and can help me determine what would work me.
I live in Arkansas but i have no set type of detecting style. I am not just a coin hunter or relic hunter but i would like to hunt anything i can hit on. I would like to be able to find jewelry as i would like to offer a free local service to help find lost items for people. We have old farm houses and homesteads b/c we have a lot of old history here. I have been trying to narrow this all down by myself but i have not been able to. since the deus has 4 freq and the etrac has i think 28 but searches them all at one time. The etrac has to be hunted with a lot slower and i have read that if a nail is over a coin on in the same area forget about ever finding the coin. I would think in my area we would have a lot of nails, metal spikes, bullets and such from long ago times.
I have read the deus can separate items like nothing else but this is all in reading. Finding someone that has experience with both would be greatly helpful..

Now i would love to have the 3030 but i have also been told and watched a few videos of it completely missing and not hitting on a gold ring and that to me sounds strange but again really not talking about the 3030 unless i can find one really cheap..

If it help my atpro that i am about to ship off b/c of a sale had always ground balanced to around 75 or so when sensitivity was a few clicks down from the max.

Thank you very much in advance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you buy the new machine, be sure to keep using it after you quit getting lucky to make it work. Once you absolutely know how to make it work, use it for another 100 hours after that. It is my opinion that this is about how long one should use a metal detector to be able to learn it to a decent degree.

Im not even sure you would be proficiant with it at that point. AS long as i can make it find coins and jewelry ill be good. Im not a big relic person but if its there ill dig it too.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the E-Trac from the first time they came out and it's a killer all around machine you can't go wrong with. I've never used the Deus but I'm pretty close to ordering one. In my opinion The beauty about the Explorers, E-Trac, and CTX is that they are close to if not the best machines to handle bad mineralization. I'm now using the CTX and love it, but when I'm hitting spots that are loaded with iron and I'm looking for and digging everything non-ferrous I will hit it first with my minelab and then I'll break out my F-75 with the 5" coil. If I were you I'd buy the E-Trac because you have a lot more coil choices than the Deus has. It you could get the E-Trac with the stock coil and add a 6" coil you would have a killer machine you could use any where. If you are going to dig everything except iron all the time and want to have extra money to buy coils your better off buying a used F-75 if you can find one.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the e-trac and wouldn't trade it for anything.......but; as soon as money allows, I'll be getting the Dues. Our areas we search can go from very easy to nothing but iron in the ground. Really nice to have the ability to pick from your arsenal!!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like the Etrac would suit your needs just fine. Better choice of coils, aftermarket parts, and flexibility of use.
Yup, and I've found all kinds of good targets among the iron trash with it.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out with an AT Pro. I liked it, but after a year I started having shoulder and elbow pain. The ETrac is a great machine no doubt and I believe has better target identification than the Deus. The most important things to me were light weight, wireless and quick recovery speed. The wireless is NICE. I love not having to worry about the headphones being wired to the machine. It's also very portable because of the telescopic shaft. Another plus for the Deus is the software is upgradable via the internet.

Downsides are, proprietary/expensive coils and target ID not on par with the Etrac. I also don't love the tones, but that is subjective.

I have read rumors that XP may be releasing a true multi-frequency coil at some point. I have no idea if that's true or when it may be released. If they do, I'm sure it would be very expensive.

Good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a used Deus with 4.5 yr warranty left along with ws4, 9" coil and remote along with the waterproof kit for a good price. I think am leaning toward this kit being as i would like to use the detector at the river. Now i may never get the head under the water but the first time i take the etrac if u bought it i would accidentally drop it in. Every other person i talk to says go deus and the next ones say they are junk go etrac so i guess ill have to just take a chance if i go deus.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found a used Deus with 4.5 yr warranty left along with ws4, 9" coil and remote along with the waterproof kit for a good price. I think am leaning toward this kit being as i would like to use the detector at the river. Now i may never get the head under the water but the first time i take the etrac if u bought it i would accidentally drop it in. Every other person i talk to says go deus and the next ones say they are junk go etrac so i guess ill have to just take a chance if i go deus.

Both are very good machines.
I hunt with a friend who uses an etrac.
I use the dues with 11" coil. I have hit sites we have hit hard with my previous at pro and him with the etrac. I am always impressed with what I find. Even with the at pro 5x8 and etrac with "I believe" 6" coil tech or sunray small coil, I still manage to find good coin targets, close to trash targets. That both machines have missed numerous times. I know how good the etrac and pro perform. But I find the separation performance of targets, is what sets this machine apart from the rest. Even with a 11" coil.
Also the light weight and compact construction, really add to the user's pleasure.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other

Good choice on the Deus. I wrestled with Minelabs VS. Deus. I bought the Deus, and committed to use it. after I got used to it, I liked it. The more I use it the better I like it. I just can't say enough about it being wireless and ultra light. You will really like it after you get used to it.

I use WS4 backphones, and really like them. You can here the pinpointer, and other sounds, with the headset on. I have 9" and 11", if you only get one, get the 9". The 11" coil struggles in the high trash areas, but is awesome in the open less trashy areas.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions. You will love this machine, if not, easy to resell without losing a bundle.

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I had an E Trac and sold it to get the Deus, in my opinion there is no comparison. I love the silver sounds on the E Trac but in heavy iron it was horrible and didnt handle highly mineralized ground well. I hunted with a buddy when I had the E Trac and he was using an AT Gold. He was digging bullets I couldnt hear on the E Trac no matter how I set it. The only upside to the E Trac is the target ID is so reliable. The target ID on the Deus isnt all that great but if your digging by sound you will be OK. I can tell a coin from anything else on the Deus by the roundness of the sounds. I am getting ready to buy a CTX for water hunting but I will never get rid of my Deus. Having the ability to upgrade the machine for free makes it so it will never be outdated.

coin graboid

Jul 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deus is probably the best machine i have ever used for coin hunting in trash not even the ctx3030 can compete .

vne5

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Deus until recently and traded it for an Excalibur 2. Now, the reason I traded it is I am now in Florida and want to water hunt. I did however find that the Deus takes significantly longer to learn and I don't particularly like the fact that you have to send to send it back to the factory for battery changes. I did enjoy my Deus but have to say, I LOVE my Minelab!!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Personal not Political Rant:

I don't purchase anything made in France, especially brand new! They ran the U.S. Army out of France in (I believe) 1967 over War Reparations repayment and likely a tiff over the Vietnam War as well as they treated us G.I.'s, myself included like crap when we visited Paris in 1973. Also, I do not purchase anything made in China if I can help it and no explanation for this is needed.

Frank

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am happy with my Deus. Its so much better than my ATP. Easy to use once the learning curve is over. Yes, you can turn it on and use basic and get going right off, but there is a huge learning curve if you want the Deus to get into your soul and under your skin. With the help of Vino and a couple books and a whole ton of YouTube vids, I think my Deus is now an inseparable part of me.

So I guess you can say my vote is for the Deus. Yay Deus! :occasion14:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Etrac for old coin/silver hunting, especially in areas that contain modern, non-ferrous trash. Strengths are ID accuracy, particularly on the deep ones. Can't compete with the Deus for target separation and iron handling abilities.

Deus for pulling non-ferrous targets from older, iron infested sites. Strengths are target separation and the ability to handle iron well. Takes a back seat to the Etrac for ID accuracy, especially on the deep stuff.

Deus also for gold jewelry hunting unless you're on a salt beach in which case the Etrac gets the nod.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread