Deus Tech Questions

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All they really did was increase the low end cutoff and range of the discrimination filter. Think of it as sort of a logarithmic scale where "0" doesn't exist. But they did provide a "0" in this case to provide a reference point corresponding to where 0 was on the previous scale. The negative range gives you additional precision when filtering low conductive ferrous targets which allows more sensitvity to trace amounts of ferrous containing or low conductive domestic building materials such as ceramics.which clue relic hunters, especially in Europe, of former dwelling sites similar to the presence of a high concentration of nails. It's up to you to decide how much disc you want to dial in. If you want to run "wide open" in pseudo all metal mode set disc anywhere from -6.4 to 1. Supposedly the horseshoe ferrous/non-ferrous indicator is less reliable with disc set less than 6 (that's why all but one of the stock programs set disc to no lower than 6.1). There are advantages to running some disc depending on site conditions as it tends to keep non-ferrous target ID's from being down-averaged by nearby iron. HTH.

Last edited:

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vferrari, thanks for your explanation. Focusing on your last part, the horseshoe is more reliable at 6.1 disc are greater. I have been setting mine to 5.5, with that information, I will up it up just a little.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my doubts the horseshoe becomes instantly unstable below 6, so I wouldn't necessarily change what you were doing soley based on that info, but I doubt it could hurt to bump up disc an additional point. That being said, I personally believe in all or nothing when it comes to disc. Specifically, I am now gravitating from full tones and negative Disc to disc = 10 with multi tones or pitch and iron fume as the situation warrants. In really nasty hot soil conditions I use Gold Field or a PI detector.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Supposedly the horseshoe ferrous/non-ferrous indicator is less reliable with disc set less than 6 (that's why all but one of the stock programs set disc to no lower than 6.1).

Any idea if the same is true for the X/Y screen? I would assume so, since I suspect they are really just two ways of showing the same information.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question. i don't know for sure, but on the X-Y a ferrous target will make the line unstable anyway and I have successfully used the X-Y screen while hunting with negative DISC. It got to the point that iffy targets that would show up on the X-Y screen as iffy, I could also tell from the audio so I have gotten away from using the X-Y screen lately.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good question. i don't know for sure, but on the X-Y a ferrous target will make the line unstable anyway and I have successfully used the X-Y screen while hunting with negative DISC. It got to the point that iffy targets that would show up on the X-Y screen as iffy, I could also tell from the audio so I have gotten away from using the X-Y screen lately.

Yeah, I no longer think the X-Y screen has any sort of magic, either. But that's the screen that I'm used to, so I use it. I suspect the same data drives both screens... its just a matter of how you want it displayed. I've been giving a lot of thought recently to how I decide when to dig or not, and have come to the conclusion that it is not any one thing. First thing is always the sound, of course. But then I check the X-Y screen and the ID and wiggle the coil some more to see what they do and what changes with the sound. If the number is sometimes good, and the sound is sometimes good, it doesn't really matter to me what the X-Y pattern looks like, but if it is a good coin pattern, I'm certainly more eager to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread