DEUS vs CTX- Pair of SPANISH, Colonial Hibernia & War of 1812!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Got off work and decided to put my 2 months of tot lot DEUS skills to the test. In an effort to better learn the DEUS, I left my beloved CTX at home after leaving for training. Now back in the low country, a few months of swinging parks and digging clad has paid off. While the CTX is still the superior machine on the highly mineralized salt flat, the XP seems to dominate inland on iron patches (now that I understand the machine's language). I have gridded this particular site with my CTX meticulously...dozens of times...while my buddy Gheenoe78 hit it with his AT PRO. Needless to say, we left a few relics behind...the first target nearly knocked me over. Loud and clear at 10 inches, 1782 1 Real!

1.jpg 2.jpg

A bit of lead and lots of small iron nails later, I got a iffy signal among the trash. It only hit on 1 axis but I was digging everything after the real popped out. Deep in the plug was a smooth HIBERNIA KG3- another first!

3.jpg 4.jpg

Working a different section of the site, I ended up on a "newer" section of land not far from where I dug the Trime earlier this year. Similar to the CTX tones, this signal was faint and hit around 50 on the Deus. Expecting a nickle or foil I was surprised to see a tiny silver face staring up at me...1850 1 Reale! Dug about 5 feet from the 2nd smallest silver I've ever dug :laughing7: This coin is tiny-

5.jpg

Before calling it a day, I worked my way back into the trash pit from last week. About the only target I was missing to make this evening a personal record dig was a military button. After a disappointing 2 piece I never expected my second War of 1812 button in a week. She's a beauty, coat sized, CORPS War of 1812 artillery button.

6.jpg 7.jpg

Looking for a bit of help with this ornate item...broach maybe?

8.jpg 9.jpg

Headed back out tomorrow, although not sure how I'm going to top this evening. As always, thanks for looking and good luck out there!

10.jpg 11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 28

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't hunted much in 18khz, any advantage to 12 for relic hunting?

It's sensitive to smaller items and I just really like how it makes everything sound. I've read all the forums about depth in the different frequencies and which frequencies are better for certain metals and I just don't notice it. I've played a lot toggling programs between 12 and 18 on targets before I dig them.... And I mean deep whispers... And I've yet to find an item that doesn't hit on all frequencies. I've pulled many coppers at 10 inches in 18khz as well as silvers equally as deep... It's also found me tiny buttons and buck ball. So I really like it. I've sterilized this site except for the trash pit, so next winter when the grass is low I'll maybe mess with 4 or 8khz and/or a 0 or 1 reactivity and go slow to see if anything else is down there (I know it is!)

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's sensitive to smaller items and I just really like how it makes everything sound. I've read all the forums about depth in the different frequencies and which frequencies are better for certain metals and I just don't notice it. I've played a lot toggling programs between 12 and 18 on targets before I dig them.... And I mean deep whispers... And I've yet to find an item that doesn't hit on all frequencies. I've pulled many coppers at 10 inches in 18khz as well as silvers equally as deep... It's also found me tiny buttons and buck ball. So I really like it. I've sterilized this site except for the trash pit, so next winter when the grass is low I'll maybe mess with 4 or 8khz and/or a 0 or 1 reactivity and go slow to see if anything else is down there (I know it is!)

Good to know the 12 vs 18 frequency shift has limited effect on depth. Once this dirt is picked clean I'll probably give the lower 2 a try. Hit the site again this evening, bit of rain and a 6 more buttons

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some really nice finds. Two reales in one hunt. WOW.

The Deus is the deal!

Best of luck to you sir!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I'm not active duty anymore. After finds like that, I'd be AWOL for the next week! Keep it up, and thanks for sharing.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, love the 1782 Real and the Artillery button.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. I used to notch 98-99 when I first got the Deus and ran 12khz. Since then I almost always prefer 18khz which shifts the IDs higher, so I got rid of the notch right away. I also like digging iron and big iron as they turn out to be some of my favorite finds. I've had some weird items... even lead, come in the high 90s while in the ground so I never look at the IDs anyway and rely on the audio sounds. Typically I can tell if I high tone is iron by wiggling off the target and listening to the grunts... So I like to hear it all.

The reason I don't notch is the same reason I have disc on 0. Because I like it wide open & I'm not a cherry picker. I used to guess what I was digging & how deep by the sounds, now I have VDI, I only glance at it. Although the numbers combined with sounds have improved my guessing of the item. I dig EVERYTHING that hits over 10.

You fellas and you Deus settings sound like you're a talkin' Chinrese. Lol. Actually although I know little of the machine itself, I can follow along with the concepts you're speaking of regarding settings. Very cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions