DFX and small jewlrey

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to know if I had a setting wrong or if I'm doing something wrong. When I pinpoint very small targets like earrings. My depth reading always goes to 4 inches or 4.5 inches. Even if the target is half a inch deep. I read that the unit is made to pinpoint and read coin sized targets. Is that the reason? Does this happen to anyone else.

Thanks for any info....................same thing with small lead fishing sinkers all read at 4 inches?????????????????????????????????

Upvote 0
D

Deadshot

Kermit,

I am still a DFX noobie also but I will add my input.
Sa Far I have noticed that anything that rings in the lower vdi #'s (0-35) seem to show a depth that is too deep unless it is a Nickel or soda can.
I have began to learn how to identify the foil vs. coins by how stable of a reading I get on the coins.
But if you are after the jewlery you really have to dig everything I think.
I have heard that using the single frequncy mode will help to expand the VDI range for targets which would help ID those targets but Jewlery really can hit any vdi on the scale. I dug a earing yesterday that was bouncing from 1-25 on the VDI.

Not really any good info, just my observations

Deadshot

OP
OP
kermit

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep 15kHz is a great for jewlrey.

Rudy(CA)

Sep 24, 2004
Depth indication is calibrated for coin sized targets and the stock coil.
Change either one of these factors and the depth indication will be off.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Very common on the dfx. I've gotten so good with it I know when there is a tiny object by the sound. If it's a loud pinpoint it's a coin or something else. .22 shells and other small stuff will read like that alot. Usually they are surface finds when they say 4 inches or so. But they can also be 4 or 5 inches deep also. One of those things you just gotta check. Most likely it is on the surface or near it. But not all the time.

It hasn't bothered me or I haven't lost anytime or finds by doing so. I don't rely on the icons. Mine are turned off at all times. I use mine as a powerful detector that gets everything. I rely on tone i.d and v.d.i numbers only. Depth helps with the aid also.

After so much use you will just know when you have a small target. Pinpoint is very soft. You'll know it's a small item. Bullets shells love to do it. 9 out of 10 times I can tell it's a shell. I always check surface first because that's were it seems to be.

I'm a dig everything hunter. So for me it's not really a problem. I hunt woods and use a pinpointer for the small stuff. It will find some small stuff at great depths.

Good Luck Jer

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JerDfx was correct. The DFX will find small stuff and mark the depth off from what it really is. Pinpointing can be a problem too sometimes depending on the soil. Using the standard coil the DFX will usually read the depth very close to what it really is and if the target is on an angle, the depth is a little off. But this is no big thing.

Try not to rely on the meter to much as it can be fooled on all machines. Trust your ears. If you hear it, something is there and you could pass up something great if you trust the meter. The VDI # is an indication of what it could be only but keep a log of what number is what target. Not all machines are made exactly the same or give the same numbers on a target. Also, try increasing the gain setting.

HH,
Sandman

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
I'm sure you don't need my advice but from my experience which is limited,? Intentionally duplicate the sceniro. My problem is by the time I find it I'm irritated and forget the lesson learned or the lesson not learned in my case.

The soft tone of a small object makes me forget that anything withing 4 or 5 inches worth digging should be withing range to produce a nice round, loud tone. You are probably running the (thingy) "Modulation" option which makes the deeper targets softer and the shallow ones louder. I tend to forget that for that machine and most others 4 inches is shallow. The machine does what it is supposed to do but sometimes I don't listen.

I can't remember what the area of pinpoint is,(for a surface object that is tine) I.E. withing 1/4 inch or up to 1 inch but by hitting the trigger during pinpointing it may give you another clue.

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deadshot, I see you have or had a Classic ID. I also have one and was wondering what kind of depth you got with it. Almost all of my finds are no deeper than 4 to 6 inches. So far no silver or anything older than 72 or 73. I have tried changing the discrimination and sensitivity but have had no luck in finding anything other than cans or siding past the 4 to 6 inch depth. I am considering the same upgrade you made and have even purchased the Digging Deeper with the DFX book by Jeff Foster. Hopefully my local Whites dealer has one so I can put the book to use before dropping a grand. Also, I was wondering what kind of knowledge you gained using the ID that could be transferred to using the DFX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions