jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through some simple research, I learned of an area where a strong box full of gold/silver coins was blown to smithereens unintentionally by a genious bandit trying to use dynamite to blast it open. Instead the blast spread coins over countless acres in all directions.
This happened 100+ years ago along some railroad tracks in the wide open empty expance of a dry lake. I have heard accounts of people finding silver coins in this general area so I know that they are there. Its just a matter of finding where exactly the explosion took place within a 5 mile stretch that the tracks cross this dry lake.
Since it is a vast area to cover to try to narrow the location down, I am thinking about using the Bigfoot coil designed for the DFX.

My question is this...
Does anyone have any experience with this type of coil? Is it truly hassle free compatibility with the DFX? I am warry of using aftermarket coils and expecting good results. The soil conditions would be similar to that of a beach with little mineralization.

Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have no trouble using this coil as it is designed for use with the Whites. It will cover the ground in a larger foot print, hence the name. It is a DD coil and gets depths of about 7 inches due to it's configuration. It is not heavy either and should help you find some coins. Still the area you mention is huge, but you will have a ball.

Best of Luck,
Sandman

K

Kentucky Kache

Neat treasure lead. Let us know if you find anything.

OP
OP
jernigan00

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman

I wasn't sure about the depth. Guess I'm a little disapointed with 7". I was thinking it would be a bit more.

I will probably get one anyway with my next OT check. It sounds like it will still cover some good ground. Might even be worth a try at the beach.

I wonder how far down into the silty clay dry lake bottom a silver dollar would make it after a 100 or so years. Thats 100 years of wet monsoon seasons and dry shifting sands. It might just be a crap shoot in reality.

OP
OP
jernigan00

jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update here.

The location of this great train car heist and explosion was featured in the Lost Treasure magazine a couple months ago. It is the Willcox Dry Lake (Arizona) just south of town.

I also found an article in the Arizona Highways publication about this event. However there seems to be a descrepency in the distance from town that the explosion took place that sent Mexican "Dobie dollars" in all directions. The Arizona highways stated appx 11 miles from Willcox in the dry lake. Lost Treasure said 5 miles, hence the need for larger coil covering more ground to narrow down the search considerably.

Ultimately I would like to have a coil several feet in diameter and mount it to an ATV as the meteorite hunters have done.

I have yet to get out to the area since it has been extremely hot this summer (white sand + hot sun = misery) and the fact that it is the middle of the monsoon season leaving the road access too boggy for my Chevy Aveo.

Soon though.......

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Go for the 24 inch magnum force (also made by jimmy sierra), it will go deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread