DFX, MXT,XLT or MineLab Explorer SE

waldopeppa

Jan 16, 2005
Ok,
Im in the market for a nice metal detector and Ill be pretty honest when I tell you that all Im really interested in is finding one with the best depth range. I do not mind digging at all. Since I am learning Ill be doing a lot of digging anyway.

I do not mind spending a few bucks but do not want to go crazy.

What do u guys think of the xlt with one of those 18 inch coils for better depth?
Do these work? Would I be better off with a dfx ?and a 18 inch coil?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
for my 2 cents, for sheer depth i would do the explorer but you are going to pay for a lot of bells and whistles that you may not want or need. there has been a lot of talk lately about how deep the nautilus machines can get. maybe nautilus is worth a look as well.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
if you are willing to take the time to learn the detector and understand it then the Explrer SE is the way to go. otherwise choose the DFX as it is easier to use and can still get the depth. Larger coils generally get you more depth but lose sensitivity to small objects so it's a trade off. either way they are both better than the XLT. Let me know if you need any more help.
TonyinCT
WWW.TCMETALDETECTORS.COM

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I use the Whites XLT. I like it very much. You can use the stock programs as a turn on and go machine or you can add you own customizeable programs. You can also find a use unit for around $500 but you will have to search around. Ebay has them on occasion.

The newer Whites DFX looks similar to the XLT but is quite different. Two frequencies rather then the one that XLT uses. Many other changes. The DFX is a bit more expensive then the XLT and both units have a bit of a learning curve.

The best detector is the one you buy and learn to use. Eveyone will have their own favorite, but you have to decide what type of hunting you will be doing and decide if the detector of choice will meet those needs.

Happy Hunting.  ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread