DFX Need help finding nuggets

one8orz

Nov 1, 2006
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I've had mine DFX for about 5 month's practicing in back of house. Found allot of bullet slug and its great time practicing pinpointing. A friend at work has told me of a place south/west of me where his pulled some nuggets in a wash and also panned some gold as well. My questions what setting should I have my DFX and or what should I be looking for in my screen? I will be helpfully begetting a chance to go next week end to do some scouting and maybe get lucky. 8)

Upvote 0

pondmn

Jul 1, 2003
Merced, Ca
The DFX was not really designed for gold but would probably pick up larger nuggets. Lead is a close second to gold. Try burying a small lead bb and then larger bb's or fishing split shots and see how your detector does. You need to use an all metal mode and dig all targets. The factory coin and jewelry might be a good choice for gold as it is designed to pick up gold jewelry. An MXT might be a better choice for a crossover machine for gold and coins.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
I have tryed the DFX a few times for gold (no luck yet) but I have been able to pick up a lead pellet about 5" down, and lead shot near the surface (THAT can drive you crazy). I have mostly used the prospecting program for gold, but may try the jewelry/beach program, which I use a lot for general detecting. pump up the power if the ground allows it, but very important to keep the audio threshold even and loud. A few of the small flakes and nuggets I have air tested have low VDI like under 20 and will not give you an audible tone, but rather the audio threshhold will rise in volume and maybe get a little scratchy. I assume that larger nuggies would give better tone sounds.

A couple of months after I got my DFX I went looking for gold in an area an old miner I know told me he did good back in the forties. found no gold with the detector (drywasher did good!). When I got back I went to the local shop and air tested a few nuggets, got the same sound I heard a number of times out in the field! I was listening for a tone therefore quite possibly over looked some gold.

Also.... WWW.DFXONLY.COM has some great programs to play with, none specifically for gold at last check tho.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
one8orz

one8orz

Nov 1, 2006
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks for the input I'll do a couple dry test this week and head out to the site this Saturday will keep posted 8)

OP
OP
one8orz

one8orz

Nov 1, 2006
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Went out this weekend (Saturday) had a good time going up wash. All I found was 2 bullets lugs 6 inches deep and lot of bullet cases. Started to rain got out of their before I got suck in the wash. Will post pics soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread