DFX Owners Yeah or Nay on the 10 inch Double D D2 coil?

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came with mine, only used it for a few minutes on my one day out before sending the machine to whites. It is noticeably heavier than the 950 so much so I am seriously considering getting a harness so I can use it without discomfort. Most people who have had the DFX for a long time seem to prefer the 6x10 coil, or coils close to that size, from what I have read.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always use a harness, their great for maintaining your swing all day

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using one on my DFX for a while and like Doug said, they are heavier than the 950. I think that in good soil the concentric is probably a little deeper but the D2 separates better. I am going to the Detech 13" Ultimate Coil as soon as I can afford one. I think it will be deeper and maybe a little lighter or about the same. I rarely use a big coil and the Detech 6X8 SEF rarely comes off my machine. I just want one for open areas when ground coverage is needed and deep targets may exist. I have a cheaper harness that works okay but it's not very comfortable so I usually don't wear it. I wouldn't mind trying the newer swingythingy. It looks pretty comforable.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't mind trying the newer swingythingy. It looks pretty comforable.

I agree, but 2 things bother me. It look a bit hot with those wide straps.. and what do you do in the winter? I has to clip to your pants.. Heavy coat is in the way, and with insulated coveralls there is no way for it to work.. Guess I could sew a D-rings to the coveralls but still wear a heavy coat over them.. so seems like these are only viable in fair weather areas.. I suppose a simple weed wacker harness that does not attache to anything and just goes over your shoulder would work..

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, but 2 things bother me. It look a bit hot with those wide straps.. and what do you do in the winter? I has to clip to your pants.. Heavy coat is in the way, and with insulated coveralls there is no way for it to work.. Guess I could sew a D-rings to the coveralls but still wear a heavy coat over them.. so seems like these are only viable in fair weather areas.. I suppose a simple weed wacker harness that does not attache to anything and just goes over your shoulder would work..

It doesn't get as cold here as in your area (or at least stay that way for very long). I haven't really thought about it very much because I don't hunt in the bitter cold, it hurts my arthritis too bad. I would hope it would adjust enough for a light jacket or hoodie. We are lucky that we don't get a hard winter around here.
Pesc

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it. A little heavier than the 6x10dd but gets a little deeper and separation is great.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my MXT the D2 is one of the deepest coils I've used it seems every bit as deep as the 12" white's coil, the ultimate 13" coil doesn't seem to be any deeper but it does hit harder on those really deep coins that are sitting on edge and covers more ground. I was looking for more depth over the D2 coil but really didn't get it but I did find a few deep ones that was on edge, the D2 didn't give a good enough signal for me to dig and sounded like deep trash and the 13" coil made them sound just good enough to dig. HH
I have been using one on my DFX for a while and like Doug said, they are heavier than the 950. I think that in good soil the concentric is probably a little deeper but the D2 separates better. I am going to the Detech 13" Ultimate Coil as soon as I can afford one. I think it will be deeper and maybe a little lighter or about the same. I rarely use a big coil and the Detech 6X8 SEF rarely comes off my machine. I just want one for open areas when ground coverage is needed and deep targets may exist. I have a cheaper harness that works okay but it's not very comfortable so I usually don't wear it. I wouldn't mind trying the newer swingythingy. It looks pretty comforable.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the DFX with the 300 coil which I replaced with the D2. I search mostly public parks and it works great. As far as weight goes the whole machine is heavy a little more for the coil you many never notice

RL OH

Feb 7, 2007
I have used three bigger coils on the DFX and all had excellent results. I have used a SEF 10x12, SEF 13 inch Ultimate, and the Whites 10 inch D2. Both SEF coils felt lighter than the Whites coil. All three were equal in depth, but a bigger coil that feels lighter is better for me. It covers more ground. The "sweet spot" (detection width) is slightly tighter on the SEF coils, but a person who never uses DD coils would not notice much difference. If I was going to buy a bigger coil other than the stock 9.5 concentric, I would opt for the SEF 10x12. Make sure you get the newer "V nulled" white coil. There is a reason for this. If you don't like it, it will work on all high end Whites detectors(M6, MXT, MXT Pro, DFX, VX3, and V3i) and you can have a bigger seller market. The SEF 13 inch Ultimate WILL NOT will not work on a VX3 or V3i. I currently have two coils that I love on my DFX, the SEF 6x8 and the 13 inch Ultimate.

one arm willy

Oct 15, 2014
North west Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the D2 but since I got a sef 10x12. I haven't used it much. They are very close in weight. The sef 10x12 is a good inch deeper. If the D2 goes bad down the road. Chances are whites will replace it. If the sef goes bad. Chances are your stuck with it. Hard to beat whites service. HH. Onearmwilly

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the D2, 6X10, 950 and the 4x6 shooter on my DFX and V3i. On all of my machines, I use the Detector Buddy harness with them detecting for 8 - 10 hours in no problem. I find no issue with placing the detector down to dig, if I have an issue they easily disconnect from the detector with a quick disconnect buckle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread