DFX Programing Question

Jonesin

Apr 1, 2007
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Trying different things on the programs, I came to best data & correlate. Best data takes the 3kHz & 15 kHz and takes the best data from the two and reports it to the VDI#s. Correlate looks at both 3kHz & 15kHz at the same time and only reports the VDI# if they both match. It would look like correlate is more accurate.

Is this right or did I miss something? The above is what I got out of reading all the DFX books and would like to get other peoples opinions. I noticed most of the programs use Best Data and just looking for the reasoning behind it.

Thanks in advance for your input

Tom

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
It sounds like you have the idea. But i use best data mainly, the correlate mode is actually better for iron rejection.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I have tried best data, 15kht,and 3khz. I realy like 15kht and best data. I don't like 3khz at all. It is too eratic for me. I use a very hot setup. 85 ac sens.and 4 preamp gain. In my aera it is stable, at these settings. It is quite prediticable. For me 3khz is useless. Every target reads 85 or better. It would be nice if the 85's and 90's were true targets but they are not. I have always had Whites detectors and I love the DFX. :o Mike

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Mike Silver -gold said:
I have tried best data, 15kht,and 3khz. I realy like 15kht and best data. I don't like 3khz at all. It is too eratic for me. I use a very hot setup. 85 ac sens.and 4 preamp gain. In my aera it is stable, at these settings. It is quite prediticable. For me 3khz is useless. Every target reads 85 or better. It would be nice if the 85's and 90's were true targets but they are not. I have always had Whites detectors and I love the DFX. :o Mike

Mike you are running hot! Which coil do you use...a smaller one? Also are you seeing extra depth? How deep you hitting?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use correlate if there is a LOT of iron and no other freq combination is working. It looses depth compared to best data and you just arent getting those iffi signals. I use 15 kHz mostly, if i use 3 kHz i turn VDI normalization OFF so i can move those deep coins that may have moved into the negitive range because of wrap around.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
Greg, I use my stock coil. I do get more depth running hot. How deep? I'm not sure. The areas I have been hunting are not all that old. I tried my super 12, but I do like the stock coil better. Mike

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Mike Silver -gold said:
Greg, I use my stock coil. I do get more depth running hot. How deep? I'm not sure. The areas I have been hunting are not all that old. I tried my super 12, but I do like the stock coil better. Mike

How is the super 12 weight wise compared to the stock coil?

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I have my detector hipmounted so weight is no problem at all. It is slightly heaver. The large size is a little harder to get use to. My biggest gripe is I can't run it as hot with the super coil. I get an overload warning and I have to back off to about 76 ac sens and still 4 pre amp gain. It is okay but I always like to run it to the max when possiable. I just don't know if by runing it at 76 ac sens I'm going to get as deep as 85 ac sens with stock coil. Mike.

OP
OP
Jonesin

Jonesin

Apr 1, 2007
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I was having the same problem that Mike was having with the super 12. No matter what I did, I couldn't get past the 6" to 7" depth. I finally checked my ground mineralization strength and it was showing moderate to high (2.5" to 3"). So I gave Whites a call and said the DD 8" x 14" will do a better job as it will go deeper in highly mineralized soil, the super 12 will do better than the 8 x 14 with normal soil. The Super 12 just magnifies the ground minerals.

To make a long story longer, Whites told me to send the Super 12 back, and they will exchange it for the DD 8 x 14, they have a life long customer now

Tom

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Jonesin said:
I was having the same problem that Mike was having with the super 12. No matter what I did, I couldn't get past the 6" to 7" depth. I finally checked my ground mineralization strength and it was showing moderate to high (2.5" to 3"). So I gave Whites a call and said the DD 8" x 14" will do a better job as it will go deeper in highly mineralized soil, the super 12 will do better than the 8 x 14 with normal soil. The Super 12 just magnifies the ground minerals.

To make a long story longer, Whites told me to send the Super 12 back, and they will exchange it for the DD 8 x 14, they have a life long customer now

Tom

Tom great post and the main thing is hopefully the new /new ;D coil works for you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions