DFX vs Minelab Exp SE -- which to buy?

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
Ok, I'm sure this topic is floating around somewhere on this forum. But I can't search because I'm not a gold member or whatever the hell it's called. Here is my criteria:

1) I want to have the best machine for coin shooting and gold rings, some beach hunting
2) I don't have a problem with spending a grand for a good machine
3) the learning curve does not intimidate me
4) I don't want to buy a lesser unit and then dream about upgrading to a better one
5) I've narrowed my search down to these units but am open for suggestions.

Let the comments and suggestions begin! Thanks.

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have not used a DFX, but i do have an Explorer SE, and it is a great machine. i think youre going to have a hard time going wrong with either of these choices. is there a detector shop in your area where you can get a hands on look at both of them? it might help.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Willy said:
Yup, Willy's BS detector was pegging the needle at that site! ..Willy.

I wonder when he says "All detectors are set up to be stable and reject nails and small iron" if he didn't simply "kill" the falsing entirely. That would cut depth dramatically, especially on the fixed or poorly ground balanced units that have a factory presets. He didn't seem to bias towards the only line he sells - C.Scope. They tanked in his results.

Don't believe everything you read. ;)

Tell you what, though. If all manufacturers would send me one representative unit of each detector they make I'll do a careful test in like manner - multiple samples of three coins buried at 1" steps in a test soil bed (a wheat penny, a nickel and a 90% silver quarter - I'll even provide the coins).

AgileMJOLNIR

Apr 3, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Keith,

My 1st serious unit was a DFX before moving over to Minelab. I really enjoyed the unit and there was not very much of a learning curve when it came to recognizing the tones etc. The learning curve came with it's versatility and all of the possible combinations that you can program into the detector.

DFX/What I liked:

1) Recovery Speed - It was fast. I could use a good swing speed

2) Weight and Ergonomics - I could swing it all day without fatigue.

3) Tones and Pinpointing - The DFX has wonderful tones and what I feel to be the BEST & most accurate pinpointing.

4) Jewlery and gold - The DFX loves them both. It really nails those lower conductors.

5) Well Built - Nice solid machine

DFX/What I didn't like

1) Depth - Here in my soil even after reading Jeff Fosters book and using a countless number of programs from experienced DFX users I could not get the depth I needed to get to those older coins. My DFX served better as a demo machine where depth was not needed most of the time.

2) Electrical Interference - My DFX hated it and I always had to back the sensitivity down to compensate.

Explorer/What I liked

1) Information - The Explorer gives you a wealth of information on a target

2) Depth - Out here in California it's the most popular deep turf machine. It goes deep and most importantly ID's at depth.

3) Design - I love the design of the Explorer. It is put together extremely well and I still love the idea of routing the coil cable through the lower and upper stems of the machine to the control box. Makes for a cleaner looking machine.

4) Tones - I love the tones and the amount of them. Paired with the graph it's a lethal combination

5) Iron - Works well in Iron. Not as good as an F75 or T2 but it does well.

Explorer/What I don't like

1) Weight - It's a solid machine but one of the heaviest if not the heaviest on the market.But it's also built like a tank.

2) Learning curve - Gotta be patient. The Explorer throws alot of information at you at once. It's not as simple as BEEP BEEP target!

3) Sweep Speed - I don't mind it now but in the beginning it was an annoyance. You have to go slow with the Explorer. Thats part of it's recipe for depth.

4) Pinpointing - It can be a pain in the butt until you get it down.

Anyways I hope this helps. I love both machines but my main is the Explorer again because I need depth for the type of hunting I do. I have also run a Soverign Elite and an MXT but I still find myself going back to the Explorer.

If you need depth the Explorer is the better choice without a doubt. The Explorer is an all purpose machine so it will find jewelry and gold on land or beach but not the smaller pieces like the DFX will. The Explorer walks all over the DFX when it comes to finding silver.

If you don't need depth even though your soil conditions make make the DFX a depth beast or if you would like a faster swing speed then go for the DFX. If you want to do alot of jewelry or gold hunting then again I would go for the DFX. The DFX walks over the Explorer when it comes to finding small gold or jewelry.

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
AgileMJOLNIR, this is one of the best reviews I have seen on these two units. I ordered the SE yesterday and am looking forward to diving off into this newer technology. Thanks again!

AgileMJOLNIR

Apr 3, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Thank you Keith I am glad it helped. Good luck with your SE, it's definitely a great machine and you will no doubt make great finds with it.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
keithinvestigations said:
AgileMJOLNIR, this is one of the best reviews I have seen on these two units. I ordered the SE yesterday and am looking forward to diving off into this newer technology. Thanks again!

Keith,

After you get your SE and swing it for a few hours find someone with a F75 a swing it for 5 mins. haha just teasing. I really do like my SE too. Its just heavy and not as good on small gold. It is very good unless close to trash. I would try to learn your SE in all metal. Its harder to learn but if you descrim anything out you will miss targets.

Example:

I have detected around my dads barn countless times just nulling out iron and thought I really cleaned it out. I dug any and every signal. I went back after I learned to run AM on the se and found 3 coins in with trash that i missed. Before I dug I switched back to my original descrim pattern and I would not have dug that signal. Am lets you hear better what is in the ground. Soon you will not even hear iron just good signals.

Now I need to go back over it to see what I missed with the F75..hhhmmm

HH, Stoops

PS..... invest in a 8" coil!

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
First things first . If dropping a grand is no problem $ 20.00 for a charter membership should be chickenfeed . You'll get the perks & that includes the search option & most importantly you'll be supporting this great website . Either of the machines mentioned seem to be great machines but if I had to make the choice it would be the SE . Just my opinion . HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread