DFX with Gold

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the DFX for roughly 6 years and I love it. I typically only have time to hunt local parks by where i work so they are not your gold rich enviroments like the beach. These parks are city parks and don't have any sporting fields except for one park. Since I'm a creature of habit and I usually hunt in the Deep Silver mode which has worked great for silver finds but the gold is spars. I find one maybe two pieces of gold a year.

Do you think it is the program I'm using? Should I try the jewelery setting or just stick with what I'm comfortable with? My thoughts are if the gold is there it really does not matter what program I'm in...if the coil goes over it the machine will sound off.

I would love to hear others thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

NJ

Gold rings can ring up anywhere on the meter due to the various different metals they are alloyed with. Thin womans rings with diamonds can read into Iron and Foil. Most yellow gold rings are from Iron up to and including Pull Tab. So if your not checking these targets you are losing out. But it depends on how much fun you wanna have. If your happy not digging lots of trash, stick with disc set higher.

DFX GOLD

I have had my DFX for one year now and have found 19 gold rings and a 14k gold mariners cross. I have learned to dig almost everything. Anything from a 9 and up to 21. I know that means a lot of foil and pull tabs. Foil may not be foil and pull tabs may not be pull tabs. HH GFP

Attachments

• weighed rings.jpg
    weighed rings.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 201
  • MARINERS CROSS 14K 3-28-2012 18.0 gr_0003_edited-1.JPG
    MARINERS CROSS 14K 3-28-2012 18.0 gr_0003_edited-1.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 14k ring with stone_2012 04 15_0025_edited-1.JPG
    14k ring with stone_2012 04 15_0025_edited-1.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 182
Digging it all is the only answer to finding gold of any kind. It is a tuff road to go down, but it is the only way. Sorry to be so blunt.

Thanks guys...I know I need to dig everything but since I usually only have 30-45 minutes and I hunt mostly urban parks that are filled with pulltabs and liquor caps it is hard to stay focused on that range. In any given short hunt I usually pull out 30 to 40 pieces of trash so I mainly focus on coin signals. I'll have to try to do a better job...lol.

Thanks again

NJ

I bought a white DFX several years ago when they were being advertised as "see what it is before you dig it up" Somebody at white should have when to jail for making that claim. A 5 and 10 dollar gold piece will show as a bottle cap on the DFX. And yes in order to find the good stuff you will have to dig every single signal no matter what the machine says it might be. Way to expensive for what it should do. In fact a 250. Silver UMax will do the same

I run my DFX in the 15 Khz, and have even found gold ear ring backs. I concentrate on VDI numbers from 0 through +36, and have found some nice gold. I don't post my finds anymore. I use an Excellerator 6" EQ2 DD coil when I'm after gold jewelry. But, I dig a lot of pull tabs, foil, ace bandage clips, gum wrappers etc, before finding gold...maybe 1 gold item per 250-300 trash. God luck with your DFX, Niffler

Thanks everyone. I would take 1 to 250/300 any day.

I usually hunt in urban areas so when I do find gold it is usually fake. In these areas there are pull tabs and liquor caps covering the ground. I pick them up as I go then dig 4-5 for every good target on top of that. I could just skip them altogether but then I would be missing many good targets that they are masking. I guess I just have to dig even more of the 0-36 VDI targets...sometimes I get tired of dig them and skip a couple...lol.

Thanks again
NJ

9 vdi ?

I have had my DFX for one year now and have found 19 gold rings and a 14k gold mariners cross. I have learned to dig almost everything. Anything from a 9 and up to 21. I know that means a lot of foil and pull tabs. Foil may not be foil and pull tabs may not be pull tabs. HH GFP
you've found gold rings @ 9 VDI on your DFX?
What do you normally run your sensitivity @ ?
Thanks !

Nj , the stock coin mode is set very conservatively for machine stability .generally i use a modified version of coin and jewelry mode for all my hunting woods / parks tone ID on is a must it can be a big adjustment but you will get so much more out of your machine , there are lots of custom prog. Avail online or in the book digging deeper with the Dfx vco audio is another must and by backing down on dc you'll learn to here the difference in depth and size of targets!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back