DFXRUS Cheryl and I meet on Hilton Head Island

GaBeaSwpr

May 1, 2006
Appling Georgia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well we had a little get-together on HHI Friday morning. DFXRUS, his wife, Me and mine. Cheryl Ed and I tuned up and spun off at Folly Field beach. There was an ominous shape afloat in the distance which went unnoticed for a some few minutes, but then the lack of targets and the unfamiliar look of the beach began to gel in my mind. A local with a Garrett Master Hunter buzzed by me at the wet/dry sand line without so much as a howdy-do. Surprise though, he stops and has a chat with Cheryl who's working with the PI up the beach from me. Just as we all took off Cheryl reports a VERY LARGE target in the sand some yards up the beach which she isn't interested in digging. I passed that off as junk until I ran MY coil over it and it gave a tantalizing good steady high tone. OK it's BIG, I mean a good two feet long so I begin to uncover it. As I do so I'm thinking "This thing is cylindrical, and about the length of... PLEASE don't be an un-exploded 5inch projectile! It's not, GOOD! I'm relieved for a moment until I completely uncover this thing to reveal this label!!!!!!!!! OH S*#T!!!!
That ominous shape I mentioned was a dredge, and the beach we were on had been built up SEVEN feet!! Well we call the police to get this (flare)cannister removed, then Ed Cheryl and I jump in the truck to make for a beach which hasn't seen the new sand yet. One third of my search time was expended by time we get to it again and the tickets were as sparse as they were in the newly sanded beach but at least we I didn't dig up any more ordinance. I did find an interesting clip-on earring but have not made a pic so these are it.
Here's the pics
P.S. Enjoyed meeting, talking and hunting w/Ed very much. We hope to have another meet/hunt but this time at an unreplenished beach.

DFXrUsMe001-1.jpg

DFXrUsMe008.jpg

DFXrUsMe009.jpg

DFXrUsMe007.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread