Diamond and Silver ring found at 1909 Church!

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking this forum for some time now and I finally have a good cause to post. Was at the Church this past weekend detecting with my good old Whites Classic III when I got a good signal in front of the fellowship hall. Dug a 4 inch circle around the target area with my indestructible stainless steel garden trowel. Pulled out the divet and out rolled this great ring. Had to wipe the drool off my chin when I realized this small ring might pay for my detector with some change to spare. Will announce my find (without detail) to the congregation to see if someone recently lost it. It may be quite old since the Church was founded in 1909. If someone has lost a ring of course I will have to let them describe their ring to me before I show them my find.

If no one claims it. I will have it appraised to see if the diamond is real and how much it is worth. The diamond appears to be 1/3 carat or so. The band is silver and has 925 stamped on the inside.

Wish me luck!
SoupBone

Attachments

• DiamondRing.jpg
    DiamondRing.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,436
  • DiamondRing2.jpg
    DiamondRing2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,433
Upvote 1

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find & Welcome.

Jeff

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a find SB! :o

Congrats on finding it and welcome!!

And...I have never found anything that gave me a "good cause" to post here...but they put up with me!! :D

Looking forward to seeing your next great finds!

Nana ;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, Soupbone. That's a nice looking ring.

Keep on posting and show us your other finds!

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
WTG on the ring find. You're doing the right thing by trying to find the owner, but it would suck to have to give up your first extraordinary find. Hopefully, the ring has been there for 20 years or more and no one will remember it.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting the picture. Let us know how it turns out.

grizzly bare

GaBnn3

Dec 10, 2004
I hope your congregation is the real thing. I had to move out of state for several months, for a project I was on, and thought renting to one of the deacons was a safe gamble for my house. Even though I had other offers for more money, I practiced my faith and rented my furnished residence to the deacon. He and his family robbed me blind and lied through their teeth about it. A neighbor's house was broken into during our absence, which never happened before. It's a nice neighborhood. I tried to tell the pastor, but he refused to listen. I've never been back to church. I tell you for your own good. Remember, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi All,

Everyone at my Church is as good as gold. Don't think anyone would falsely claim the ring. Just have to be careful though. Sorry you had a bad experience GaBnn3. Hope that does not hinder you from finding the right congregation. We are all but dirty rags in the sight of God. Some dirtier than others. Your thoughtfulness towards that unsuspecting crook will not go unnoticed. He will get his just reward.

Hang in there!

SoupBone

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a beautiful ring SoupBone. Great job!

Kent

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi Grizzly,

I announced it at the Wednesday night services that a ring has been found on the Church premises. Had a couple of folks ask what it looks like but I respectfully explained to them that I could not devulge the description of the ring until everyone that had lost a ring came to me. So far no one has let me know that they lost a ring. I'm gonna give it another week or so then I will see about an appraisal.

Sure hope that diamond is real!

SoupBone

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi Guys,

Found another ring at the High School. This rig had a gold plating that was flaking off. I sanded it down to the base metal which I think is Brass and I polished it up with Brasso. Can anyone tell me what the markings on the inside mean. I think it is 18K FA64 or 18K JHG. I just cannot make oyt the letters or numbers after the 18K. The detector I used was a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and the settings were on tone. High tones are silver brass copper. Low tones are Gold Nickel etc... This ring gave a high tone. Any help on the markings would be great. Maybe the base metal has a percentage of Gold mixed in? Wishful thinking maybe but I cannot tell the difference between my Gold wedding band and this ring side by side (outside patina of course).

Thanks!
SoupBone

Attachments

• 100_0005.jpg
    100_0005.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 2,077
  • 100_0004.jpg
    100_0004.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,066
T

tallpaul

i would say 18k gold plated proberly,, HH paul,,,

great find thoe,,,

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on another ring find!!! :o

Nana ;)

K

Kentucky Kache

Okay, take a break and let me have a turn. ;D
Man, those are some great finds. Welcome aboard, and keep posting.

OP
OP
SoupBone

SoupBone

Mar 28, 2005
North Alabama
Hi Folks,

Went to the jewelry store today to see if the diamond is a real one. Turns out to be Cubic Zirconia. Shnikees! thouight I had a real one there for a while. What a let down. Guess I'll look at it this way. I've got two pretty pieces of flash I can give to my kids so they can loose it at Church or School. That way I can refind them!

Here is a question also. What year or how long ago did they start putting cubic zirconia in jewelry?

Later,
Soupbone

Hey!........ I ain't heard no fat lady.
;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread