Diamond in silver?

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Maybe someone who knows a little bit about jewelry can answer this. I found a ring with a white stone in it that could be a diamond. The ring is silver with .925 on it and is part of another ring that wrapped around it. You can see notches where another ring would snap around it. My question: Is it common or rare to see a diamond in silver? I couldn't glass test it because of the way it is set.

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to say no unless it is a small cluster of diamond chips. They do make some really nice man made diamonds now that go into jewelry.

If you still wonder take it by a jewelry store.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen diamonds mounted in silver, there are people who do not like gold, and prefer silver. With that said, the only to know for sure is to either have a jeweler check it, or test it with a good diamond tester.

B

BIG61AL

Unless the stone in question is large enough to warrent interest of a jeweler, diamond chips are almost worth nothing in value. Just ask a jeweler to see some loose diamonds in the chip size and all you'll get is a puzzled look.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
good answers so far. No self-respecting jeweler would ever put a valuable diamond in silver. The only exception *might* be if you had something very old and from a specific locale. I've heard that back in the 1800s, in some remote places (countries? people-groups?) that they did in fact mount diamonds in silver, that may in fact be good stones. But as I said, they would have to be antique rings to qualify for this, and even then, it's pretty doubtful.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I have seen and dealt with hundreds of silver and gold rings. I have never seen a silver ring with a diamond to date. As someone has stated anyone can set a diamond in silver if they want. Personaly I love and only whare white gold. I can,t ware silver anyway. Some people have a lot of acid in there system and can,t and should not whare silver. I have tried many times ,in 4 hrs or less I get a black ring on my neck. White gold is the best,costs a lot but it looks great. Mike

auprospector44

Jan 8, 2008
Could it be a stone called "white topaz"? Also there is stone that is clear quartz. I have seen both of these mounted in sterling silver rings.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I sell (at my local flea market) cz stud earings set in silver. I sell them for $10.00 a set,any size. Unless you have a lupe and a REAL sharp eye,they look like the real deal. I don,t try to fool anyone,and I make a slight profit. The only way I know for sure a diamond from a cz is with my eletronic diamond tester. It only takes a minute and I don,t have to guess. Mike.

Duane B

Sep 24, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Fisher CZ5
Does the "stone" have a patina? I found a low-quality gold-plated ring that was in the ground for 150 years and it had a "foil back" imitation diamond. The surface of the fake diamond had a slight patina, much like an old piece of glass might get. I have also found a genuine diamond ring that was in the ground for 150 years and the stone did not have a patina at all. When wet, the stone looked like a little wet ice cube.

The type of mounting will also give a clue to a genuine diamond or a fake diamond. On my genuine diamond ring the stone could be viewed from the front or the rear (I don't know what type of mount this is called, possibly "crown set"). On my fake diamond ring the stone could only be seen from the front (the foil back side of the stone was surrounded by metal). Of course, like someone else mentioned, the stone could be clear topaz or something similar.

OP
OP
UTcoinshootR

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Great answers, thanks everyone. It turned out to be a man made diamond and it is a part of an engagement ring set. He Says I'm missing the other half of the ring. Strange guys those mall jewelers be.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a very large silver mans ring with a huge stone, about 2 carats. I have never had it checked, but several knowledgible people at my detecting club said they thought it was a real diamond. They expressed it was rare to see a diamond set in a silver ring, but the way it was so securely mounted made them think it was a diamond. I've never had it checked because I haven't really cared much since I never sell anything I find. It was one of my very first ring finds. I'll have it checked some day, but I don't really think it is a diamond personally. Monty

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
In the 1908 Sears catalog, in the jewelry section, you could buy wedding sets with real diamonds set in sterling.......NGE

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was gonna say back in the day you could buy silver set with diamonds

also...some ppl who are allergic to gold have custom made rings, using silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread