Diamond yes or no?

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamonds are smooth and dirt won't stick to them...

Bran <><

Upvote 0

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
You can check them by scratching them with a knife. If the knife leaves a mark, it is quartz. If not, most likely diamond.

Dirt, as previously mentioned, will not easily stick to them. I don't know about whether or not they would stick to your fingers.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Allen: a knife has 5.5 in MoH's scale quartz has 7 I would not trust that to much.
If you have corundum scratch it with the corundum diamonds have 10 on MOH's scale. (corundum has 9)
If you do not have corundum use Topaz (8) or Chrysoberyl (8.5)
http://www.webmineral.com/help/Hardness.shtml
SOME diamonds will glow under UV light... ;)

Upvote 0

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Diamonds in the rough are not smooth, or clear, but have a sandblasted look. They are not
transparent. Light will not penetrate them. If they are rough, hazy looking, then maybe they
are diamonds.

Upvote 0

ongolo

Feb 9, 2008
rockhound said:
Diamonds in the rough are not smooth, or clear, but have a sandblasted look. They are not
transparent. Light will not penetrate them. If they are rough, hazy looking, then maybe they
are diamonds.

Light does penetrate diamonds. Some are very smooth. Try and wet them, if they stay wet, they are not diamonds. Diamonds can not be wetted ever. Live in Namiba. Lots of diamonds here. I should know as everybody does here.

Regards

Ongolo

Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rough diamonds can vary in look and feel and color and quality.

If your not sure, and think its a diamond, take it too a jeweler or pawn shop, both should have electronic diamond testers for jewelry.

Cut or not, if its a diamond the tester wont lie.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread