Diamond?

MikE-Trac

Jan 4, 2011
I always have my head down searching for diamonds and find tonnns of fakes... Today I found a pretty legit looking one and Jewelry store is closed. Can't really get a great pic but there's one thing that has me questioning it. There is a flat band cut around the top rim and I've never seen that before. I know the pic is crappy, my question is just does that flat band cut guarantee it is not real? The way it shines/refracts it looks pretty good and no flaws noticeable from above or below. Thanks

Attachments

• diamond.jpg
    diamond.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 239
Upvote 4

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I always have my head down searching for diamonds and find tonnns of fakes... Today I found a pretty legit looking one and Jewelry store is closed. Can't really get a great pic but there's one thing that has me questioning it. There is a flat band cut around the top rim and I've never seen that before. I know the pic is crappy, my question is just does that flat band cut guarantee it is not real? The way it shines/refracts it looks pretty good and no flaws noticeable from above or below. Thanks

Will it scratch glass? If it does then try it on quartz. the only thing that can scratch quartz is a diamond

OP
OP
M

MikE-Trac

Jan 4, 2011
it did scratch the mirror pretty easily.. not sure if i have any quartz. ill check back in if i find some

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will it scratch glass? If it does then try it on quartz. the only thing that can scratch quartz is a diamond
Other gems will also scratch quartz, including some garnet, sapphire, topaz, and emerald.
Jim

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you read any newsprint through the stone? Lay it on a printed source and see if you can see any letters through it.

OP
OP
M

MikE-Trac

Jan 4, 2011
i think im seeing the color of letters a little from a certain angle but cant read anything

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think im seeing the color of letters a little from a certain angle but cant read anything

Now, I am no diamond expert. I've heard that if you can read anything thru them they are probably not real. Your best bet is to have it tested.
In any case, nice eyeball find!

OP
OP
M

MikE-Trac

Jan 4, 2011
yeah, i read the same thing. the fakes i have i can easily make out the letters through them. i guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out

OP
OP
M

MikE-Trac

Jan 4, 2011
here are some of the other stone related items i've found this year.. mostly junk but maybe 1 or 2 things worth getting checked when i go tomorrow. one day i'll find something good! thx for the info guys. i'll follow up

Attachments

• diamonds2.jpg
    diamonds2.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 155

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, i read the same thing. the fakes i have i can easily make out the letters through them. i guess i'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out

Fingers crossed!

If you find a lot of stones, maybe a little tester might be something to think about. :dontknow:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it scracthed glass then you know it is a precious stone and if is clear in color it is a diamond
Not necessarily...quartz will scratch glass with no problem, and is clear. I have quartz stones that look just like the one the OP found. The only true test for diamond, that is hardness related, is if it will scratch corundum.....ruby or sapphire.
Jim

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it scracthed glass then you know it is a precious stone and if is clear in color it is a diamond

This is SO untrue!! There are many clear stones that will scratch glass, and many of the synthetic diamond substitutes will also scratch glass. The only way to see if it's a diamond is with a diamond tester which most jewelry stores and pawn shops will have. Hardness and refractive index are what defines diamonds.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Hope it proves real for ya!

I got tired of guessing and don't have a trusted jeweler so I got a diamond tester.

Weird part is I have found CZ in gold setting, and small but real diamonds in silver that was gold plated.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Not necessarily...quartz will scratch glass with no problem, and is clear. I have quartz stones that look just like the one the OP found. The only true test for diamond, that is hardness related, is if it will scratch corundum.....ruby or sapphire.
Jim

I mentioned quartz because anything that will scratch quartz is a precious stone and quartz is fairly common. I think it goes Diamond, corundum<ruby>, topaz, then quartz.

http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences/geology/worlds-hardest-minerals/

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned quartz because anything that will scratch quartz is a precious stone and quartz is fairly common. I think it goes Diamond, corundum<ruby>, topaz, then quartz.

World?s Hardest Minerals | Scienceray

This is correct, but sapphire (corundum) and topaz also are found clear. Most of the various "blue" topaz on the market is inexpensive clear topaz that has been radiated to give it a salable blue color.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
black light?? diamond will luminous (glow)
Some do, some don't. Usually, about 30-40% do, so most don't. It isn't definitive in any case, as rubies also glow, as do some other gems.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread