Diamonds in a thimble

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding old thimbles in the colonial areas that I hunt. They are signs of domesticity that I hope will lead me to some homesteads. Feel the same way about buttons and shoe buckles. I know that thimbles were sometimes given as objects of affection. But I found a thimble with what appears to be two small cut diamonds inside. It is seen center in the photo with the buttons then upside down in a bottle top. The other thimbles I found seemed to be crushed on purpose and contained a green sand. I found the small brass object in the lower left nearby. When I opened it the glass stopper fell out. i think it was a small apothecary tres6.jpg tres7.jpg tres8.jpg measure.

Upvote 15

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan
8-)
:cat::occasion14::headbang:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice relics! :occasion14:

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Eastender,

Welcome to TNet from Ohio. Looks like you had a productive hunt, especially like your gilded buttons and the mystery thimble. If I can ask, what is your location - just a general ballpark.

Good luck with your hunts.

Walt

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice buttons and thimbles! I don't dig many flat buttons here in my part of Texas... so, I think they are cool finds.
I would say that the mystery object lower left in the last pic is the remains of an old light bulb base. While the glass part doesn't look EXACTLY like a light bulb part, I would guess it IS, considering you found it in that base.
Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. The mystery object is banded not threaded and quite small. From a area of colonial settlement dating to 1650. What kind of things are you finding in Central Texas?

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. The mystery object is banded not threaded and quite small. From a area of colonial settlement dating to 1650. What kind of things are you finding in Central Texas?

I'll be danged, so it is. Sorry I jumped out there and acted like I knew what I was talking about.
My little town was established 1846, but I'm pretty sure there were only 15 people here for the first few decades. As far as OLD relics go, the best finds I make are generally a conestoga bell here and there. If I did more farm field hunting that would probably be different. There weren't any civil war or texas revolution encampments or battles near here, so no really old bullets. The Spanish did have a few missions around my area back 300 years ago, but the natives drove them out in less than 5 years.
For coins, I've only gotten one large cent in 4 years and my oldest silver is 1842, but most of the time, OLD usually means 1870s. Just wasn't a whole lot going on before the railroad came through around then, I don't think. I get my fair share of good coins, but there are also a lot of old light bulb bases. Not so much on apothecary equipment!
Anyway, congrats on that. It's neat, if that's what it is!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread