Diamonds in the Rough & Turkey Lake Treasure

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Back in the 1986, Lake Tohopekaliga was drawn down to scrap bottom muck, kill the abundant fields of hydrilla and allow the lake bottom to dry. As treasure hunters, we had a ball digging silver coinage from Barber coins to Liberty halves, old bottles and jugs were recover and some old outboard motors. I was walking along the lake bottom near the Brinson Park 406 Neptune Rd, Kissimmee, FL 34744 ( 28.293094, -81.396671 ) when a woman approached me with tears streaming down her face. She'd had a fight with her fiance' and she pulled the engagement ring and setting and flung them into the rocks lining the lake shore. She asked if we could metal detect for them. At that time, it was all grown up and looked like a haven for water moccasins and we passed on it. As far as I know, no one searched for them. They are on the North side of the pier.

About 20 years ago, the Bill Frederick Park on South Hiawassee Road, Orlando, FL was known as Turkey Lake County Park. Some Middle Eastern men were in a round bottom canoe paddling near a dock when the canoe capsized. They lost a bag containing a couple of Rolex watches, several one oz gold bars and some gold bracelets. They dove and dove for them and did not recover. It didn't dawn on them to get a diver with a metal detector. Here are the coordinates where they were. Not sure which dock it was but ask them which is the oldest dock. ( 28.505393, -81.477421 or 28.505872, -81.477845 ), they were near the weed line.
Now why didn't I go after it. Well, back then those Rangers wouldn't allow anyone to enter the water because it was not a swimming area. I tried to find another place to enter the lake with a boat but there were not many homes on that lake that I could launch a Gheenoe with a kicker. If you can reach the site and dive with tanks or hookha there is really nothing they can do about it, the water and bottom land belongs to the State of Florida. I'm too crippled now to bother so I leave the treasure to you youngsters. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread